𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝘅 | 𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘀

Silence lingered in my room as I sat on my bed, Danielle's absence filling the quiet space of the dorm room. Zach had waltzed her off earlier with a bouquet of flowers in hand and promises of a nice evening date. I couldn't help but smile at the way she'd rushed into his arms, splaying kisses over his face like an annoying grandmother that hadn't seen her grandchild in a while. He'd simply hoisted her off her feet and pressed his lips firmly to hers while I peeped from my section above Danielle's bedroom.

Love.

They sure had that — or something close to it. I mean, the way he looked at her, the smile she reserved just for his eyes and the way they couldn't seem to let each other go... it reminded me of a time I thought the world revolved around a man who couldn't wait to burn down the fantasies I'd imagined. Leaving scars that could neither fade nor heal.

I reach for the journal Alexander gave to me during our last session, taking a seat at my desk and scribbling words only I could understand onto its fine print. He'd said it helped to write. Whether it was my feelings, the concurrence of night terrors or the images of the dead that refused to leave my mind. I wrote it all down.

Alexander's concerned gaze fleeted through my mind as I wrote. He seemed genuinely concerned about how I felt— or maybe he'd grown used to convincing his students to let him in. And to be frank, it felt harder each day to keep him out. His entrancing gaze luring me deeper into its depths, probing me to trust in a man that I couldn't find the urge to resist any further.

A hard thump against the door calls to my attention.

I saunter to the door quickly, swinging it open to find a familiar face standing idly across the threshold. "Nate?"

"Hey," He takes a step in, hands thrust deep in the pockets of his jeans. It'd almost been a week since we'd first met officially. I made it a routine to stop by the smoking den—basically the toilet we'd met— to see him at least once a day for the past few weeks. Maybe it'd started as a selfish move, hoping to hide myself from a scarce Vincent with someone who seemed to be able to ward him off. "Sorry for stopping by out of the blue."

"It's fine." I try not to let the heat that flushed my cheeks be seen as I close the door. I'm suddenly conscious that I'm only in bum shorts and a flimsy camisole as he strides around, taking in the sight of the outrageous dorm room. A smirk plays along his lips as he turns to me in awe.

"I thought my room was something," I look away when his eyes settle on my frame, "This is way out of my league. What are you? A duchess or are you a lady of some small country?" His voice changes as he impersonates and bows courtly.

We both laugh at his antics, our voices echoing in the space of the room. "No, but my roommate is. I think." He nods and turns his gaze to the sectioned bedrooms that topple over one another, pointing between them. "Which is yours?"

"The one at the top." I say, trying to wrap my head around his presence. I feel awkward standing by the door and hoping he'd get to why he came by. Or how he'd even found my dorm. That had certainly never come up in our conversations.

"Well, uh, I came by because I need to ask you for a favor, Simone." He finally says, hand rubbing his nape as cautious eyes watch me. "I have this project for my photography class but I haven't been able to find a model for the shoot. I was wondering if you could fill that role. If you're down for it, I mean."

Trying not to laugh at his flustered request, I cross my arms in mock suspicion. "I'm sure one girl in your class is prettier and fit to be your model or partner." I tease but his frown catches my attention.