iv. yer a demigod, nina.

chapter four
yer a demigod, nina.

FOR A MOMENT, everyone stared off the cliff, where the girl had disappeared. The only noise to be heard was the chopping of the helicopter, but even the machine in flight held a bated breath, as if the pilot just realized what happened. Everyone was silent. Then━

"ANNABETH!" Percy cried out. He began to run towards the cliff's edge, but the helicopter controller seemed to regain life, and shot at them.

     The familiar sound of gunfire pounded in Nina's ears, and she pushed the di Angelo kids away as bullets rained down like a deadly hailstorm. Most of the silver girls scampered out of reach as little holes appeared by them in the snow, except for the younger twelve year old girl, the one Zoë had called her lady. She merely glanced up, perfectly calm. Nina could not relate.

     Nina's face felt full of static, and her breathing went quicker. The feeling wasn't new for her, but it still made Nina want to curl up in a ball and cry. She took a deep, shaky breath and kept herself together.

     "Mortals are not allowed to witness my hunt," the auburn-haired girl said. She raised a hand, and the helicopter exploded into . . . a flock of birds. They scattered into the night sky. Nina felt a bit sick at that.

     The Zoë girl stepped forward, and the other hunters advanced along with her. When her sights landed on the black haired girl, her lips curled in distaste. "You," she greeted.

     "Zoë Nightshade," the girl replied, voice shaky with barely concealed anger. "Perfect timing, as usual."

     Zoë took a glance at the rest of them, and reported to her redhead friend, "Five half-bloods and a satyr, my lady."

     "Yes," the girl agreed, "Some of Chiron's campers, I see."

     Nina had a lot of questions right then, and most consisted of who what why how━she couldn't imagine she had been this confused ever before.

     "Annabeth!" Percy shouted again. "You have to let us save her!"

     "I'm sorry, Percy Jackson," the auburn-haired girl told him, turning his way. "But your friend is beyond help."

     He didn't listen to her, struggling to get to his feet, but a few hunters held him down, effectively trapping him. His eyes were wild and panicked; Nina didn't think their containment was doing any good there.

     "You are in no condition to be hurling yourself off cliffs," the auburn-haired girl chided, looking very mildly amused.

     "Let me go!" Percy answered. "Who do you think you are?!"

     Zoë stood a bit straighter. She stepped towards him, holding up a hand and ready to smack him.

     "No," said the other girl. "I sense no disrespect, Zoë. He is simply distraught. He does not understand." Her eyes glowed a bit brighter in the full, cold moon. "I am Artemis," she introduced. "Goddess of the Hunt."

     Nina stared for a really long time. This was . . . what the fuck? This was tomfoolery. This was buffoonery. This was . . . a bunch of other words like that. This was silly and no way could it be true. Because, literally what.