ix. she's a communist!

chapter nine.
she's a communist!

     DINNER THAT NIGHT, Nina sat with Nico at the Hermes Cabin table. Every unclaimed demigod stayed in Cabin Eleven. And every demigod with a minor godly parent. And all of the Hermes children. The table was absolutely packed, and it was winter. She couldn't imagine any more kids seated there. The cabin counselors, Connor and Travis Stoll, made space for them at the very center of the table, so they wouldn't have to sit at the edge, with their legs half falling off the side of the seat.

Before they ate, Chiron the horse-man gave the Hunters a greeting (which was granted very half-hearted applause) and announced the capture the flag game in a few days, for those who hadn't yet heard (this news was received much better).

Travis and Connor were simultaneously trying to explain more to Nina about the godly world and teach Nico how to play poker. She found them both entertaining and annoying.

"So, tell me," Nina asked Connor through a mouthful of bell peppers. "If there's so many kids in Cabin Eleven, why not just build a second floor?"

Connor paused in taking a bite of a barbecue chicken leg. He shared a look with Travis. "Because . . ."

"You've never thought of that?" Nina blinked.

Travis shrugged. "I think maybe Dad might take offense to his cabin being altered? . . . but also, I've never personally thought of that."

"Pray to him, or something," Nina advised.

Connor and Travis shared a look. "Not sure he would reply."

Nina frowned. "Wouldn't he care about how comfortable his own children are in what is essentially their home?"

"Not really," a daughter of Hermes that Nina didn't know cut in beside her.

"That's sad."

"No shit," she replied. "I'm Jen, by the way." Jen leaned in closer. "And that's why our brother━Luke━left. Or, it's part of the reason, anyway. He didn't like how we were ignored by our Dad; by the gods in general. He didn't like how they treated their kids. So he━"

"Jen," Connor scolded. "I don't think━"

"Boo-hoo. Luke left to join Kronos. I think he thinks the Titan's would be better rulers."

"Oh," Nina said. She slowly chewed the last bit of her food before pushing her plate away. "That's . . . oh."

"Yeah." Jen bit into her pizza.

There was a silence.

Nina coughed. "So, anyway," she said, changing the subject. "How does claiming work?"

     Conner answered. "Usually, a symbol appears over your head. For us," he gestured to his brother, "it was a caduceus. It's different depending on your parent, though. Sometimes, they like to add some pizazz. Spice it up a bit." He pointed over his shoulder at table ten. "That's Aphrodite. She likes to give her kids 'makeovers.' Like, new outfits, hairdos, glitter, on occasion. Silena always says it's to make them stand out."