6: Three years later

Three years is not much to vent about, but my chest swells with pride when I see our bar chart for each month. The arrow is just shooting up and nothing is backing. Needless to say, it all started with an invitation for a treatment for my bad hair at Mrs. Patrick's. 

My contribution to the business helps it boost with customers and more goods and branches. A little company good awe in only three years who would've thought so of it? Not us anyway, I invested almost all my penny because I was obsessed, partners we were but I had a bigger share of the firm, 55 while Mrs. Patrick, Jennifer had 45. A good recall. 

Seeing so much progress mesmerized us but we never backed down. I was still looking forward to buying my boss' firm. I want to own their companies and make them feel awful for what they did to me. Those pricks of men. 

The more I looked at my monthly statement I craved for more cash. I could do better and I knew it. 

"Anna, we just got invited for the annual business ball, our name is among the top five most popular female firms in America." Jennifer walked in on me watching the chart with a pen on my ear and a pencil under my chin. 

"Hm," I grunted while jolting down concrete information about how our firm could get better. 

"Hm?" Jennifer repeated in confusion. "Darling we'll be meeting billionaires tonight, and you might get to meet Christopher Eastern in person." She nudged me. I paused before standing straight and looking her right in the eyes with a dead smirk. Oh yes, she knew about the humiliations he brought to me and how much I hated him, I won't miss the occasion to wave my success on his face. 

"What are we wearing?" I winked. 

"Here is my girl." Jennifer grinned. 

~•~

"I said red, try red, it would be gorgeous, on you and destroying!" Phoebe said as she pulled out a red dress. 

I crossed my legs, "no way, I don't want to attract perverts. Next." I rubbed my temples as she pouted. She pulled out a mini black off-shoulder gown. 

"Seriously? Next!" I slumped into my seat with a boring look. 

She flung it out of her sight before pulling out a white dress that had a huge gap in the level of the breast and back. 

"Not in a million years." Once again I objected. I saw how Phoebe's face grew wrinkled with annoyance. We have been on the cloth for hours. 

She pulled out a gown and was about to toss it aside when I stopped her. "Lemme see." I gestured. 

She practically threw it on my face. 

"Reject it already and let's move on." She said grumpily. I tried to ignore her arrogance. 

The gown was a wine-colored turtleneck evening gown, with a mermaid tail, and hold on the chest side. It was a long sleeve that falls in my category of might wear. 

"I'll try it out. What shoes?" 

Phoebe seemed to beam for a second but when I mentioned the shoe she frowned. 

"Silvery heels and necklaces, and I know one that would be just fine," Phoebe said. 

"Hm, I'll let you see that one. So what are you wearing? Remember you're my assistant, you'll be there too." 

"I'll put something on but no way you're picking that. Leave me, to me." she flashed a smile. 

"Hahaha. I'm not that terrible." I rolled my eyes. 

On getting to the ball, Jennifer, I, and Phoebe dispersed to grab some important clients, for business only. I fumbled with the heels Phoebe had picked but made it unknown, I was a modern woman of class and maybe fashion-obsessed sometimes. I managed to get my legs doing just fine as I took out my phone from my silvery purse. 

Men and women were dressed beautifully for the event, it was the appropriate time for a silent competition of who wears the finest clothes and jewelry for the women. As for me, I was careless, I grabbed a glance of champagne from the sauntering waiter, bringing it to my lips and gulping it down softly. My eyes scan the crowd for him, Christopher Eastern Junior. 

When the dance floor was declared open, someone cleared their throat behind me, I turned around to be met with Mr. Christopher Elias Eastern Sr, who stood a meter away from her with his hand out. 

"Will you dance with me?" He asked. 

She smiled politely, "why not, Mr. Eastern?" she took his hand, and together they got out to the dance floor which was nothing too complicated, step after step she tried to recall her dance moves. 

"It's been a good three years, Ms. Gray. How much you have progressed." He said to me as we danced. 

"Yes, a good one as you said, but I'm very ambitious," I replied. 

"How ambitious are you? Capable of obtaining partnership in our company?" 

I froze. "Y-yes." She cleared her throat. "But not right away." 

"I have a proposition for you, if you're interested, meet my secretary. And we shall see in a while." He let go of me and paid his respect before walking away, I stood frozen, not knowing what to do. Should I be happy or cautious? 

I finally got back to myself and managed to leave the dance floor. I messaged Bibi and Jenifer to meet me next to the paints. In no time we were gathered together, faces almost touching. 

"No way." Jennifer gasped when I finished narrating. 

"It doesn't sound good at all," Phoebe muttered. 

"So what do I do? Offer of partnership. I don't know. I need to see him, this is really huge." I said. 

"Not bad, but like our little Bibi said, goin' be careful pretty," Jennifer said while nodding her head.

"Sure." I nodded. 

"Good luck, I'm a phone away if you need me if you see what I'm trying to say." Bibi smiled. 

"Okay, girls let's do this." I moved out of their mist with one last glance back where I got a thumb up. 

I rolled into the crowd, looking for red-haired Mrs. Botch, I finally found her discussing with a group of interns who looked on the edge of admiration for her. After all, she was the secretary of the IRC CEO, one of the largest companies in the country. 

"Mrs. Botch, long time no see." I walked closer to her with a smug grin. 

She stared at me blankly for a second before dismissing her group of interns. 

"Long time, congratulations." She smiled tightly while leading me to the stairs mounting the hall. I followed her closely without a word. 

She brought me in front of a room and knocked before walking in with me. 

Mr. Earnest Sr was having a cup of whiskey while watching the fireplace. My gaze wandered around the room, nice and somber attire, I found it original. 

"You can leave us, Cloey." He said to his secretary who obeyed and shut the door behind. Mr. Eastern senior folded his hands to his back, "have a seat, Ms. Gray." 

I half nodded before gluing my behind to the sofa. 

"As you already know we're here for business. You must be really good because you're running the race too fast." 

"I know, so what's the deal?" 

"I'm ready to grant you a 20% share of what is in my company." 

I gaped, "uh, how much? Is there a discount of that kind?" 

He chuckled. "Don't be silly, Anna, selling your firm and all you own won't buy you a stable 1% in IRC. Pardon my tune, I'm only trying to be realistic in this harsh business world." 

"I understand. If the deal is not about money, what is it all about?" I raised a brow. 

"It's very simple, I'm inviting you to be Mrs. Eastern Junior." 

His words hit me like invisible punches to the gut, and the air in my lungs escaped my lips making me mute. 

*He couldn't be serious.

A/N

I'm enjoying this so far I hope you are.