Chapter Five (b)

I slowly walked over to the cougar, whose back was faced to a clearing. I had a new strategy. It actually might work. I kicked some leaves.

The cougar suddenly spun around. Paws were batted and swatted at me, but I ducked every time. "Time for the plan," I muttered. Racing up a mountain, it was now my turn to spin around.

Immediately, I jumped forward towards the cougar. Just before I hit the cougar, I swung my paw as hard as I could. THUMP! I landed, hard, on the ground. Thank Patrick, I only suffered a few bruises and scratches. You should have seen the cougar. Its face was bleeding and with a low moan of agony and defeat, it dropped to the ground, motionless.

I panted heavily and got up. All eyes were on the cougar as I backed away. "Guys! Help! Star!" Diamond's yelp snapped back to the current situation. I ran back to the boulder where Diamond and Star lay.

"Since you are all here, I will declare the next Alpha pair. I have made my decision," announced Star. We stood there, suspense hanging in the air.

"I will keep Nighty and Whisper as Beta. Patches and Moon will be Gamma," Star declared. "However, the Luna will be Diamond," he added. upon hearing this, Black muttered, "No, no, no... no..."

"And the Alpha is Everblaze!" finished Star.

My jaw hit the ground. There was no way Star would appoint me as Alpha. Or would he? I had displayed values worthy of an Alpha. Either way, this could not be happening. Just as I rubbed my eyes, Mum hugged me so I almost choked.

"Thanks," I said, bowing, "it really means a lot to me-"

"No!" Black cut me off with a cry of disappointment. "No way! Why did you choose him?"

Star held out an uninjured paw. "Black, I can explain. Everblaze-"

"Do I mean nothing to you?" Black retorted, tears brimming his eyes. The argument was clearly upsetting him. "I am the Alpha pup! Why did you choose a newbie over your own pups?" Black sobbed, tears of despair streaming down his cheeks.

For a moment, Star hesitated. He paused, then continued, as if he realised that the entire world was staring at him. "It's not about the rank," he finally explained, "it's about the values shown. Everblaze, here, has shown courage, respect and empathy. He even single-handedly defeated a grown cougar!" I blushed and turned away for a moment. "You, on the other hand, have not displayed any values worthy of an Alpha." Star turned to Black and added sternly.

"But you promised me!" Black protested.

"That was before Everblaze came along, Black."

"NOOOO! Dad! Please!" howled Black, racing forward to shake his injured father. In a flash, Dad and Patches pulled him back.

"Sorry for that, Everblaze," apologised Star as Black continued protesting, "but I must officially address you as the next...next Alpha," I noticed the emphasis on the word Alpha, but when I looked at Star, he gave me a small smile. Diamond then helped Star to remove something he was wearing. Mum and I exchanged curious looks.

"This," explained Star as Diamond handed it to me, "is the Alpha vest. Made of gold, rubies, emeralds, diamonds and moonstones, this vest offers protection against enemies with spikes and silver plates," informed Star as I rubbed the armour vest with a paw. It was hard, but also smooth (not the parts with the spikes!). Amazed, Mum helped me put it on. Realisation dawned on me as I noticed that the vest was made up of spiked plates held together by plaited animal skin strips. I moved each of my legs, one by one.

"No! I deserve that vest!" Black's voice was clear even though Dad and Patches were trying to calm him down. To my surprise, Black rushed over, free of Dad's grasp and pleaded to Star, bowing profusely. "Please, please... let me..." begged Black.

"I'm... I'm sorry, Black," was all Star said before with a wince of pain, Star clutched his wound, closed his eyes, and collapsed lifeless onto the ground.

No, Star! Who wishes he didn't die? *raises hand* Pay your respects to him by clicking the vote button. Rest in peace, Star 😭