Chapter Four

Jooheon

      I rush out of the room before I can't stop myself from doing something unwanted. The kiss was almost too much for me to handle and still stop.
      Leaning against the corridor, I press my fingers to my lips and feel the tingling sensation of his breath still on my skin. It's everything I'd imagined it'd be. And more. So much more. I still feel him pulsing and tingling through my skin. It felt right.
      I sigh and run a hand through my hair. Get a grip. He's leaving soon so suck it up and don't sabotage this. Safety is priority. You must keep him safe.
I gather myself and briskly walk towards the loading deck, preparing it to take Hoseok far away from me. Programming it back to Earth's coordinates. I hate this but it's necessary. It's the only way at this moment.
"Whatcha doing?"
I jump in surprise, spinning and pinning a glare on Shownu. "Why are around lurking?" I counter, hiding my fear and apprehension.
       He tilts his head a bit, studying me. "Wonho is still obsessed, you know. He's been unbearable to exist around since you left him." He chides, attempting to make me feel bad. It doesn't work. "Or, well, since you fucked everything up and betrayed your brothers." He tsks.
       "You could all do with a healthy dose of suffering and I don't remember claiming any of you as family." Muttering, continuing my task at hand. He tries to glance over my shoulder but I stop him. "Get out."
       "What are you doing?" Suspicious.
      Rolling my eyes, I calm myself with effort. "Just doing normal Captain maintenance. It's my job to make sure everything is working properly around here especially considering how many extras we have on board now." I cock my head to the side. "Wouldn't want my ship to end up like yours."
He smiles widely. "Of course not."
I wait for him to leave but he doesn't budge. "If I need assistance I will ask one of my crew. You can leave."
"Wonho thinks your hiding something from us. You wouldn't be keeping secrets,
would, you?"
Rolling my eyes, I cross my arms indignantly. "Of course I am. What I do is none of any of your business. You're lucky I'm even allowing any of you passage on here. Mind your business and stay in your lane." Narrowing my eyes.
He looks aptly stunned for a moment before laughing, shaking his head. "Wow. You really have changed and grown. I remember when you wouldn't dare stand up to any of us. Now look at you."
"Doing a bit better than any of you." I point out. "Betraying you, as you put it, was the best thing I ever did."
His gaze hardens but he doesn't comment. Instead, he looks around, eyeing my departure shuttle for much longer than comfortable.
"Don't even think about stealing anything and escaping. I have everyone watching you assholes." Warning.
Snickering. "Are we prisoners? I thought you took us in graciously."
"Doesn't mean I trust any of you for a second. Don't push me and my resolve. I'm serious. I have changed and you will not take control of me or my ship or men. Watch yourself and tell the others as well."
He surrenders, throwing his hands up. "Fine, fine. Just wanted to come warn you as a friend." He frowns. "Remember when we used to be friends? Well, I do." He sighs. "Wonho is seriously deranged when it comes to you. He's made it his singleminded mission since you left us to force you back into our group. Honestly I don't agree. Once a betrayal—I don't give second chances." He huffs. "But he's insane!Won't listen to any of us. Just prepare yourself for real. We're all staying out of it. He's after you for real."
I swallow hard, hiding my discomfort, surprised he's even offering to come here and talk like a normal being and not a barbarian. Shownu was always the more level headed after me anyway.
"I appreciate the warning."
He nods, his frown still pinned on me. "You know, Jooheon, I do regret everything that happened. I, uh, won't deny I miss you a bit. Sometimes when I'm bored." He coughs.
It takes work to stop the smile from forming on my lips. "Yeah well...when I'm bored I kinda miss you, too." Shownu and I used to be best friends. Until Wonho came into the picture with the others in his crew.
He recruited both of us and then his weird fixation on me started and everything changed. Shownu changed and got closer to the others and we grew apart. Eventually I wanted out but he...he was hooked into the life. It really wasn't for me. I hate war. They were too bloodthirsty for my taste. I was too soft for them. It just didn't work for anyone.
        He takes a hesitant step closer to me, placing a hand on my shoulder and squeezing. "Listen, Joo..." He squints, lowering his voice and moving his mouth closer to my ear. "About everything that happened before...I'd like to move on and forget. I would still like to consider you a friend and as a friend I'll be brutally honest..." He pauses, glancing around. "I saw him."
        I freeze, afraid to breathe. "Who?"
       "That little human you're hiding from the others." He sighs. "I won't say anything but are you planning to hide him long term?"
       "Why?"
       He gives an incredulous look. "I know who he is. He's the exact copy of that one...that Median. I'm not that dense."
      "Okay." Defensively. "What are you going to do?"
      He releases me. "I'm going to pretend I didn't. Despite what you believe I actually don't enjoy murdering innocent people. Yes, we were doing a mission for our planet. I did what I had to do. We chose separate paths but you'll always be my closest friend and like a brother to me. Be careful, Joo."
       I lick my lips, hesitant to trust but he already knows anyway. "I'm sending him away."
      He nods. "That's what your doing here, right? Sending him off. Where?"   
      I'm instantly suspicious. "Why does it matter?"
      "Get over yourself. I don't care. Just curious."
       "Obviously back to his home."
       "I realize he's not a Median anymore so there shouldn't be an issue unless the others want to make one but Wonho..." He shakes his head. "He'll go after him—not because who he was but who he is to you now."
       I flinch. "Are you sure about that?"
       He scoffs. "Since the moment he laid eyes on you he has been obsessed. He knew you weren't that into him and didn't want to become his partner but forced it anyway. Him knowing about your feelings for that human...he would kill for sure."
       I swallow hard, knowing he's right. "Well he'll be gone soon enough."
       He nods in approval. "I will distract them for the next hour while you do what needs to be done."
      "Why are you so willing to help me, Nu?"
      He pauses, thinking. "I've never hated you even after everything. I might have tried to move on without you but I could never truly erase you from my mind. We grew up together, suffered and grew together. I can't find it in myself to watch you suffer so I'll help you instead." Shrugging, he walks out and shuts the door behind him.
        Taking several deep breaths, I feel slightly better knowing maybe this ship isn't full of complete enemies.
       Wonho, however, is gonna be a massive problem. I'm not going through any of that shit again and he won't make me lose Hoseok. I've almost made him mine. I'll do everything in my power to keep him by my side—even if it's from afar.