apples and peaches

Rain thrummed down on him like tiny bullets and for a moment Haru felt as if he had misheard. Narumi stood firmly before him, peering up at him through dripping eyelashes. The umbrella in her hand had tilted away from her head, not sheltering her from the merciless downpour.

"Katou-san," he heard her say his name again, her fingers still holding a fistful of his soaked shirt as she gave another tug. "Would you like to come over?"

Her tone was gentler this time. Unlike before where her voice was even louder than the rain, hitting his ears and startling him.

Haru let her words sink in, blinking rapidly. "Shiro-san, I— you're not holding it right!"

Haru hastily held up the umbrella, positioning it straight above her head. The pointy edge scraped the tip of his nose and he winced. His hand flew up to caress the scratch but a hand snapped out, catching his wrist.

Haru stared openly as Narumi gripped his hand, small fingers clenching his palm in a vice grip. She brought it near her chest, stepping closer and Haru almost tripped back. Her heels added to her height, her forehead almost bumping into his nose as she stepped into his personal space.

Blue and green shone brightly, a gleam of something resolute glimmering within them. Narumi clutched his hand tighter, speaking firmly.

"I insist. Please come with me till the rain stops."

Haru opened his mouth, swallowing when she gave a gentle squeeze to his hand. "You'll get sick, Katou-san."

It's the eyes, he swore. Her eyeliner must be waterproof because it didn't smudge even if the rain was showering down on them. Haru turned his head to the side, face unbearably warm. He internally thanked the rain for covering up his clammy palms.

"I g-guess I can stay for a while?"

Narumi beamed up at him, stepping back. She adjusted the umbrella above them, pressing flush against his side. Haru's breath hitched as she casually hooked her arm with his. "Sh-Shiro-san—"

"My place isn't very far," she chirped, pushing forward. Haru stumbled momentarily as he fell in step with her, water sloshing beneath their feet as she guided him ahead. "We'll get there in two minutes!"

Haru hadn't counted the time, too occupied with the warmth of her small shoulder pressed against his. T-Too close!

He must have been in a daze because she had already taken him above the stairs of an apartment building. Just two staircases and they were standing in front of a white painted door. Narumi slipped out from beside him, the warmth of her body disappearing from his drenched side.

Water dripped down them both, forming a small puddle out in the hallway. Narumi clicked the umbrella shut and reached into the pocket of her skirt, tugging out a key before twisting it into the doorknob.

The door clicked open. She pushed, stepping inside. Haru peered over the top of her head into the darkness inside the apartment as Narumi turned, holding the door open wider.

"Please come inside, Katou-san."

His feet moved on their own, following her inside. With an audible click, the light switched on. Haru squinted his eyes, adjusting to the sudden brightness. Beside him, Narumi propped the rolled up umbrella by the door.

She brushed past him, wet locks sticking to her shoulders. "Please wait here."

He murmured a quiet okay, watching her back disappear into the nearby room. Water pooled around his feet, and he shifted uncomfortably, grimacing because of his soaked socks.