Part 3

May 1943
Dia sat on a bench in Central Park, soaking in the peace. After being in the bustling city for over a year, she had learned to quiet the nonstop chatter of thoughts. Now, she could listen to the birds singing, hear people walking about, and children running around. It was a strange kind of peace. But it was her peace.

She looked up to see Bucky walking up to her, a strange look on his face.

'What's wrong,' she asked?

'I uh- I've been- I've been drafted,' he said, the world stopping in its tracks.

The moment of silence that followed those three simple words held a million unspoken thoughts and a billion unsaid implications. Dia wasn't sure she could bear it. She wasn't ready to face what those seven letters represented: drafted. She found it sort of funny how one little word could cause everything she knew, everything she'd worked so hard to build to come crumbling around her. It was like the universe was playing some cruel joke on her. Her thoughts were spiraling out of control but all of them were screaming at her different variations of the exact same thing.

'No.'

'What do you mean no?' he asked.

'You tell them no,'

'It's the US government, Di, I can't exactly just go up to them and say no,'

'Well, find a way,' she sighed, 'cause I'm not ready to lose you,'

'And you think I am?' he asked, his voice breaking, 'You think I'm ready to lose you? I-' he paused, as if he was bracing himself for his next words, 'I love you,'

Dia's heart certainly stopped- or maybe it just skipped a beat- she wasn't sure. There wasn't much Dia was sure of anymore. Except for maybe one thing. 'I love you,' she finally echoed. That was something she was sure of.

'I don't know if I'll make it out of this war alive, I don't know if I'll make it out unscathed, I don't know when I'll come back; in fact, I don't know anything at this point. But what I do know, is that I am completely and totally in love with you, Dia Villalobos,'

At this point, she couldn't stop the tears which were now freely flowing down her face- it was either tears or a magical meltdown; she chose the less dangerous option. 'Well,' she managed to get out, 'happy birthday to me,'

'Happy birthday, darling,' Bucky said, pulling her into a tight hug.

She melted into it, into him. I love him. I love him. I love him. She repeated it in her mind, over and over. She didn't care what she had to do, she would make sure he'd make it out of this war. Nothing would hurt him. If anyone wanted to, they'd have to do it over her dead body.

***
I'm baaaackkk... The musical was fun, finals suck. I have like 2/3 more until they're over but all the big ones are over. I'm so happy I haven't been able to work on these in like a month and it's been killing me.

Also the sailing only gets worse from here. Buckle up for a wild ride in this fic. Also we're finally in canon first avenger happenings

See you guys next chapter <3