Prologue: Death to the Demon General

"Did you hear? The Demon General is dead!"

"Wu Syaoran is dead? You can't be serious."

"I certainly am! That wicked dog is no more!"

It had only been a day since the incident had occurred, and the news had already spread, shaking not only the cultivation world, but the whole of Hainei, to its very core. The wicked Demon General Wu Syaoran, a corrupt evil that was far more man than beast, was no more. It was a fate everyone, whether cultivator and layman, had been hoping for, after he and his clan had revealed their wicked ways and committed heinous acts against the world. With Wu Syaoran gone, the Wu Sect of Yongyuan was finally no more!

Already, the wings of victory were making their way across the land, spreading faster than the flames of war that had rampaged years before. Every cultivator, from sect leaders to rogue cultivators, were abuzz with excitement, speaking to anyone that would listen. For far too long, the Wu Sect of Yongyuan, which had at one point been revered for its nobleness and righteousness, had been a blight upon the great Hainei, their wicked quest for power having spread chaos and destruction throughout the land. No one had been safe from their insatiable bloodthirst!

That dog Wu Syaoran had been one of the worst of them all. A once bright young cultivator, he had turned himself into a monster through evil practices for nothing more than the sake of power! Through those evil practices, he had been able to command the dead and slaughter thousands– even worse, he had then taken control of those thousands to kill even more! Truly despicable!

Wu Syaoran's power and evil had been so great, that not even the combined might of the other great sects- the Guan Sect of Shaiwan, the Xia Sect of Xuehua, the Hu Sect of Xiqian, and the Dai Sect of Hubodao- had been enough to stop his power, even as it had been enough to topple the rest of his sect. Not until now!

Excitedly, one person asked. "Who killed him?"

"Why, it was none other than Xia Yichen, that's who!"

Someone else in the tavern gasped. "Xia Yichen of Xuehua Xia? He's the one that killed Wu Syaoran?!"

"Ah, of course! The righteous Xia Yichen!"

"Could anyone have expected otherwise?" There were sounds of agreement; Xia Yichen was perfect for the task- he was a highly skilled and noble cultivator, the epitome of righteousness and all that was good. He'd been one of the few to challenge Wu Syaoran directly, and come out of it practically unscathed! It was fitting that he'd be the one to finally do that monster in!

Someone clapped and exclaimed. "Fantastic job, I must say!"

"Fantastic job indeed!"

A gruff man sighed. "If only he'd killed that demon a bit sooner. Think of the hundreds of cultivators that could've been saved had Xia-gongzi gotten to him just a day earlier!"

"Hundreds? Try thousands!" Someone replied.

Someone else barked a laugh. "Ha! Try tens of thousands!" There were multiple roars of both agreement and aggrievance. However many Wu Syaoran had slaughtered in his wickedness, it was too many! If left unchecked, then he surely would have slaughtered the entirety of Hainei in no time!

Among the noise, a curious thought came to someone. "Wait- with him dead, what happened to Emo Zhiying?" At their question, the crowd's mood suddenly dampened. Emo Zhiying, Wu Syaoran's most wicked beast, was a dragon seemingly made from pure resentment. It was powerful, and deadly, and under Wu Syaoran's command it had slaughtered countless righteous cultivators. Even the most stone-hearted of cultivators shivered at just the thought of that monster.

After a moment of heavy silence, someone sighed heavily. "Last I heard, it disappeared." This caused some sounds of confusion.

"Disappeared?"