Chapter 11

"The poor guy is what, six foot seven? Book him the extra legroom seat," Adrian said to Lissa over the phone. An unlikely advocate for Guardian Belikov's comfort, he felt it was bad enough the Russian Guardian would be stuck on a plane for ten hours with an obsessed woman who made him seriously uncomfortable, there was no need to add being squished into his seat like a sardine.

"I'd like us all together. How about Guardians Belikov and Castile in the extra legroom row given they're the tallest, Christian and me in the row behind, then you and Guardian Matthews the next one back, with Tasha and the new Guardian from Court the row behind?" Neither of them said it aloud, but this seating arrangement would put Christian's aunt as far as possible from the long-suffering Guardian Belikov.

From the moment their Christmas travel plans had been agreed, Tasha had called almost every day with ideas of things they might want to see and places to go in St. Petersburg. With Dimitri having once been a local, Tasha felt it necessary to consult him on each of these plans, leading to several lengthy conversations. To say the man had reached saturation point would be an understatement, and he was now actively avoiding Tasha's calls. However, flight bookings needed to be made, and with eight people in their party, it made sense to book the tickets all at once, which is why Lissa was on the phone consulting with Adrian, working out which seats to request.

After what seemed like an hour of inputting passport numbers, checking the correct spelling of everyone's names, then inputting her credit card details, Lissa was on the last screen.

"It asks for any special requests."

"Put a note that the seating allocations are not to be changed," Adrian suggested.

"So Tasha doesn't try to shift seats and sit next to Dimitri?"

"Yes. But I don't want her sitting next to me, either!"

Adrian was looking forward to their upcoming trip. Tasha's presence, while necessary, was a definite minus. Although he now had some inkling of what Abe might be up to, Adrian still didn't relish a ten-hour flight playing nice sitting beside the renegade Moroi. No. It was best all-around if Tasha sat beside the Court-issued Guardian who would accompany Adrian to St. Petersburg then on his European tour afterward.

"Done!" Lissa declared, closing her laptop lid with a flourish.

"Thanks. I'll transfer you the money for my fare and my Guardian's now."

Adrian knew he didn't need a Guardian, in the short term, since they'd be staying with Abe. Rose's father employed a veritable army of private Guardians and had assured Adrian their entire compliment, Moroi and Dhampir, would be protected during their visit. However, protocol demanded four Royal Moroi traveling overseas needed at least an equal number of Guardians, which is why Adrian had been allocated a young Russian-speaking Guardian who would accompany him to St. Petersburg and beyond.

 Petersburg and beyond