Chapter 16

"You disappeared after everything went to hell," the guy whose name Dimitri could not recall said. "Are you part of a new group?"

Dimitri observed the primary Strigoi, taking his time as he planned a response. It was obvious the other undead present answered to this guy, and unless he was mistaken, they all believed that Dimitri was still Strigoi. Straightening his shoulders, and mentally preparing himself to slip into that mindset, Dimitri allowed himself a single glance at Rose, wordlessly trying to explain to her he was attempting to bluff his way through at least part of this encounter. He didn't expect to escape without a fight, but the longer he could bluff, the better their chances would be. Thankfully, Rose seemed to understand the need to hold her tongue and play along.

"I never found out what ended up happening," Dimitri stated, his voice haughty. "I heard Nathan killed Galina? Since I didn't want to serve him, it was a good chance to take off."

"Nathan died. However, people said you did it."

"That's not true. Those of us senior in the army knew what he had planned. He didn't make a secret of it. I didn't want any part of it, so took off before he started." Dimitri made his statement strong and true. The uncertainty on the leader's face was clear. Dimitri had been far above him in rank in Galina's army, however now he was here with two Moroi, and a Dhampir, and inside he'd been dancing with them. And while he sounded and acted Strigoi, Dimitri's eyes lacked the red typical for their type. Still—since there was no known way for a Strigoi to be turned back, the lesser Strigoi played along, for now, recognizing even with seven companions, he had little chance of surviving a fight if Strigoi Dimitri made an issue about a lack of deference. He was, after all, legendary.

"You have two Moroi, and a Guardian with you," he said, fishing for intel as he glanced at those Belikov was escorting. "Care to share?"

"Would if I could," Dimitri said, his voice joking while his eyes did not. "Galina was a minor player, in the scheme of things. I have a different boss these days. He wants these three, and I intend to deliver."

"You're rounding up Moroi?" the Strigoi asked, thinking that if he could deliver those captured, he might curry favor with the unknown new boss. That's when he remembered a rumor Dimitri had had a Dhampir female pet secreted away during his time at Galina's mansion. Looking at the group with fresh eyes, he understood Dimitri wasn't detaining this group, he was protecting them.

"I capture whoever I'm told to," Dimitri lied, recognizing his tactical error. By attempting to shield Rose, Lissa, and Christian, he'd inadvertently put them in danger. "If I don't deliver, he'll be fucked off..."

Glancing at his subordinates, the chief Strigoi decided. Eight against one were good odds, even if one of them was a fighting God. "Атака," he declared, unsurprised when Dimitri immediately fell into a fighting stance. The female Dhampir next to him did likewise, which also wasn't entirely unexpected. However, before he engaged, one of his crew was alight! His head engulfed in flames, the recently turned Strigoi was panicking, and with good reason. Distracted by the flames on his person, the female Guardian slipped forward and staked him before he'd appreciated there was any risk. Dimitri fought the leader, meanwhile a second and then a third Strigoi were set alight, and promptly staked by the fast young female Dhampir.

Scared they'd be next on fire, four Strigoi attempted to escape but were stopped by a large contingent of private Guardians who appeared at the end of the alley, charging toward their group. The Strigoi chief didn't know who had come to Belikov's rescue. However, Pavel, with his cavalry, had arrived.

"What are Strigoi saying about me?" Dimitri demanded, he and Pavel restraining the head Strigoi as the other Guardians disposed of those remaining. They had appeared at an opportune moment, quickly killing the remaining undead, and leading Lissa and Christian out of the alley, around the corner, and into the waiting van, while Dimitri questioned the chief. Knowing he was outnumbered and would meet his maker, either way, the Strigoi responded to Dimitri's questions.