ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

Where is the light coming from? Is it morning already? I asked these questions as I woke up from my slumber. The first thing that came in sight whilst I was examining the room was the sunlight penetrating through the drapes. I still yearned for my precious sleep and decided to get back to bed and closed my eyes but a knock on the door disrupted my plan.

"Your Grace, Good morning! It's time for breakfast" Terrella greets me and enters my chambers. I know that there is no possible way for me to go back to slumber, so I moved out of bed and freshened up. Something felt different with Terrella, something bright. As if my suspicions were correct, Terrella started with a wide smile on her face,

"Beautiful morning! Isn't it your grace?" While I am aware that Terrella adores the morning sun, but seeing her this bright worries me. I don't want to be the one to rain on her happiness, don't get me wrong, but my curiosity got me and I inquired,

"What's so beautiful about this morning, it's just like any other..." Unexpectedly, Terrella's smile grew wider, as if she had been anticipating the question since the sun had risen. She took a deep breath, indicating there was a lot to say,

"Well that's only partially true. Every morning is beautiful but today is especially distinctive. Now hurry on and hasten your pace, we shan't waste any time."

Terrella proceeds to my wardrobe, and picks out a gown. It had the colour of the clear summer sky, a fall dress with a V-line layered with lace high neck. Vintage buttons through front and dramatic puffed sleeves with lace cuffs.

Overall, it was an outdoor attire. Having said that, I had no plans outside- One of the reasons, I was grounded by my great aunt.

As if Terrella understood my expression, she proceeded further and helped me put on the corset. She was a professional after all those years preparing me every blasted morning. I despised loop gowns as much as I despise mornings, they make it rather difficult to move around. But I also detest corsets, Whenever I have them on, there isn't a time when I don't, I feel I'm being caged and my freedom being seized.

Of course, not every woman has the same judgement as me. When Terrella was done, she turned around to handle the dress, unfocused on me, so I loosened the corset just a bit. It was quite difficult to breathe in that level of tightness.

I take a seat on the stool in front of the mirror, and Terrella does my hair. While she is on it, she finally enlightens me on what the bloody hell was going on,

"Your grace, do you know the reason why today is especially beautiful?" she asks knowing the answer well, and continues, "It's because today, you are invited to the palace this evening! The invitation is on the stand." The information just provided to me makes the hair on my skin rise. Don't get me wrong, going to a palace is every person's dream, a dream that turns into a nightmare, shortly after you arrive. I know that more than anyone.

I've visited the castle merely thrice before. Once when I was born, for the blessing and recognition by the king, second time when I was five, for the funeral of consort, who is the mother of the Crown Prince, and third when I was 9, summoned by the king so he could detain me at my house, until my coming-of-age.

It terrified me to know that they are inviting me again, though it also intrigued me. I would have definitely rejected the invite, just like I do to many other invitations from nobles, only if it didn't have the king's initial, and I hadn't had the desire to see another sunrise.

I was fully dressed now, and it was possibly half past eight in the morning. I said possibly because a clock is absent from my chambers and I do not own a pocket-watch, that luxury is only provided to men. So I made one with the sun, and marked the timing on the window in accordance with the position of the sun, by borrowing Alfred's pocket-watch, it consumed the entire day for this project.

I walk downstairs to the dining room, where breakfast has already been served and nobody is present. It is always this way, Sir Ronald is too busy with the dukedom affairs and Alfred must be consumed by the estate problems, and aunt must be in the parlor, greeting one of her lovers.

She denies it with strong incredulity, stating that she is but merely a widow, in my opinion she is honest, as she has not one, but more than six lovers. By observing her state, she greatly benefits from being a widow, as if it is something of an advantage. I honestly should feel sympathetic towards her as she has gone through God forbidding anything to happen to any woman- whatever that means, but she's been a widow for more than nine years. And I don't think even in my uncle's lifetime, did she genuinely love him like she does now.

I had finished eating my meal, and realized that I hadn't seen snowflake ever since I woke up. Snowflake is the name of my cat, who is a an Angora, she is a white fluff ball with golden and blue eyes, she is spoiled and she knows it, as she is the only pet in the Archdukes estate.
She hates possibly every blonde, and I can't seem to find the reason. So I get up in search of snowflake and collide into Sir Ronald.

Despite the name, Sir Ronald is pretty young, somewhere in his late twenties, and has red hair. He has a few wrinkles, which must've resulted from handling all my fathers responsibilities. Don't get me wrong, I would love to take over my father's rank and position and I have quite the ability, but in a society that strongly ridicules women, that seems out of question- for now.

"Your Grace, we must leave for the castle right away if we want to make it on time!" Sir Ronald states, his hair all messy, like he hadn't got much sleep at night, I wonder why.
"We shall leave right away, but before that, have you seen snowflake?" I inquired as I was getting worked up.
"I might have seen her in the front garden, lingering around the flowers." Sir Ronald assured me. We both started to walk towards the front garden, as that is where the carriage is stationed, waiting for departure.

As we step out of the building, I spot snowflake purring against the coachmen. She doesn't do it, unless she desperately wants something, and right now it seems she wants to tag along. Although I wouldn't have mind her coming with us but she dislikes blondes, and most of the royal family is blonde.

I also spot my great aunt rushing towards us, hushing every person in her path. She must want to show her concern and also advise me to behave like a proper lady. I look beside me, as Sir Ronald is conversating with the Royal escort, fretting on leaving the estate.

"Raven, You must know that this trip is very significant for everyone, so you shan't ruin it by running your massive tongue. Also try and meet as many prosperous gentlemen as you can, of course with courtesy, it will greatly benefit you, as you have reached your age for marriage."

Aunt Claire starts her un-required blabbering, holding both my shoulders with her bone-like hands. I roll my eyes at the last statement and look towards Sir Ronald for help as I know that her guidelines are not ending soon- to which both me and my aunt know, that I won't heed to them.

As if Sir Ronald understood my expression, he rushed us inside the carriage, while my aunt was busy with busting out orders at me, and closed the carriage door behind us. I sat facing Sir Ronald, who was now reading a newspaper, snowflake napping on my lap, and I stared out at the mansion that became smaller as we proceeded further.