[ chapter three: confidence ]

Chapter 3: Confidence

When Friday swung around, I was pacing around my room, wondering how in the world I was going to get out of the house. Despite the fact that I'd been planning all week and figuring out how I'd escape without being caught, I had never even considered having to climb out of the window. I had thought this through multiple times. I'd slip out of the backdoor, run around the side of the house, and walk the half hour to Aaron's house. My plan would've gone perfectly had it not been for the obstacle sitting in my living room.

The only flaw in my plan was that Phoenix was relaxing on the sofa without a care. My brother was sleeping in his room but Phoenix decided to watch a movie in the living room. I managed to get ready in thirty minutes, with little to no interruption from the boy downstairs. Pacing around my room, I ran my hand through my hair repeatedly.

I looked out my window and sighed. The familiar winding tree is barely two feet from my window but it's a long fall if I don't make it. I bit my lip before reaching out and gripping the thickest branch available. I managed to make it down without a scratch but as I was hanging from a branch, mentally preparing for a two foot fall, I heard a voice and I let out a shriek.

"You almost got away with it," Phoenix noted as he leaned against the side of the house in the shadows. I dropped and collapsed on the floor, swearing as my ankles throbbed in pain. I stood up, slowly rolling them as I tried to relieve them of their ache. I'll get over it. "But I saw your flailing legs in the window."

I glanced at the large window and noticed that the curtains and blinds were drawn, revealing the exact spot where Phoenix was sitting earlier. "So what? You caught me? What are you going to do?" I asked as I wiped off my jeans.

"Well, I doubt I'll be able to stop you from going," he started.

"You're right. You won't, because you have no control over what I do," I retorted.

"But...I can go with you to make sure that you don't get taken advantage of," Phoenix responded.

"You're not going to chaperone me, Phoenix," I countered. "I can take care of myself."

"I'm sure you can. But it's my job to make sure Aaron doesn't try anything. Or anyone for the matter," Phoenix noted.

I glared at him. "You're not going, Phoenix," I snapped.

"Yeah, I am," he told me. "If you're going, I'm going."

"You don't need to go," I said through gritted teeth.

"You're right, but if I don't go, and your brother finds out that I knowingly let you go to a party all alone, I'm going to be in trouble," Phoenix replied.

"I don't need a guard, Phoenix," I informed him.

"That's too bad. Now, let's get going," Phoenix told me as he turned on his heel and began walking towards his car. When he didn't hear my footsteps, he turned to look at me. "Am I going to have to carry you to my car? Unless, of course, you don't want to go anymore..."

I glared at him. The idea of walking a half an hour didn't seem very desirable, and neither did spending 10 minutes in a car with Phoenix, but when I weighed the two, I decided that I'd rather be in a safe car with my brother's best friend than walking down scary city streets in the dark.

+ + +

"Is it just me or is he following us around?" Aaron asked curiously as he nodded over my shoulder.

"Who?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows as I glanced behind me. Phoenix was now leaning against the living room wall with his phone in his hands, trying to look inconspicuous. We went from the crowded den, to the even more crowded kitchen, to the packed living room yet he's always managed to stay within ten feet of us. "Oh."