[ chapter four: crush(ed) ]

Chapter 4: Crush(ed)

Aside from the teasing from Phoenix, I managed to get through the week without much talk of my crush on Aaron. In fact, I rarely talked to Phoenix because I was too busy trying to figure out whether Aaron likes me or not. On Thursday, when I was leaving to go to the car, Aaron stopped me and smiled. "Um, Grace."

"Hey, Aaron," I greeted him.

"Are you busy this weekend?" he asked.

With furrowed eyebrows, I shook my head. "No, I don't think so. Why?" I felt my heart began to beat. Is he going to ask me out?

"I'm having a party," he began, "Tomorrow night- think you can make it?"

I pursed my lips before slowly nodding. "Yeah, I'll be there."

"Good," he nodded before smiling and walking away. My brother and sister slowly approached the car and I was sure I had a stupid smile on my face.

I was anticipating Friday night all of Thursday evening, and the entire day of Friday. When 8:30 rolled around, I got dressed and left through the front door. My brother's on a date with some girl, and my parents were both at work and would be until the morning. I made sure to lock the front door as I slipped outside.

"It's a little early to be leaving, isn't it?" a familiar voice asked. "I mean, the party doesn't start until nine o'clock."

I sighed as I held the doorknob in my hand. I slowly took out the key before turning around. "Are you stalking me or something, Phoenix?"

"Or something," he replied. "Now, do you want to tell me what you're doing outside at 8:30? In the dark?"

"Go away, Phoenix," I told him firmly.

"No," he responded. I slowly walked down the steps of the porch, shoving my hands in my hoodie pockets as I strolled in the direction of Aaron's house. "What? You're walking?" Phoenix asked in shock.

"No, I'm flying. I just have to grab my broomstick from the shed," I retorted sarcastically.

"Wait, Grace," Phoenix called out and I stopped, listening as his footfalls grew closer. "Why do you have to go to a party?"

"So I can hang out with Aaron," I told him bluntly as he stood in front of me.

"No, I mean, why can't he be half decent and ask you out on a proper date?" Phoenix asked.

"I don't know, and I don't care," I responded as I attempted to sidestep him. He simply moved alongside me.

"Look, all I'm saying is that maybe he isn't as nice as you think he is—," Phoenix began.

"Phoenix," I started. "Move."

"Grace," he spoke.

"I'm sick of you acting like you own me. I'm going to this party, and I'm going to hang out with Aaron," I told him bluntly. When I moved this time, he didn't move with me.

"Wait!" he called again and I sighed in frustration as I whipped around. He was standing a foot away from me. "At least let me give you a ride." I stared at him before glancing towards the house we were standing in front of. His familiar car was parked in the driveway. I turned to look at him and he stared back at me with a small smirk. "So can I?" I didn't bother to respond; I walked to the passenger's side of the car and yanked open the door.

"Have you kissed him yet?" Phoenix asked me after I told him Aaron's address. I immediately turned to look at him with a shocked look on my face. "Aaron, I mean."

"No!" I hissed. "Why would you ask that?"

"I'm just wondering," he shrugged, waiting a few seconds before speaking again. "So you haven't had your second kiss yet?"