Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Olivia's POV

Walking through the door as Zayn watched me go inside, I suddenly felt exhausted. I wasn't sure why. It was quiet at home.

"Mum?" I called. "Dad?"

"Here, sweetie." My dad said from the kitchen. I followed his voice and saw him sitting at the counter.

"Hey, is everything all right?"

"We got word that your grandma passed. Josh got arrested."

"W-What?" I knew something was bad but not this bad. I felt like someone just threw a bucket of water on me. I blinked, still trying to comprehend what he just said.

"Ben got accepted to the college he wanted to go to. On scholarship. That's the only good thing that's happened today."

"Is Mum all right?"

"She hasn't come out of her room. It was her mother, honey."

I bit my lip and felt my eyes stinging with tears. "W-What did Josh do?"

"Bar fight. He's in his room too." My dad said tiredly. I immediately pulled him into a hug, letting him lean on me. He sighed loudly, Breaking my heart.

"I don't mean to put anymore stress on you, but I-"

"Spit it out, Olivia."

"It's selfish." I confessed. "Especially at a time like this."

He squeezed my shoulder. "Out with it."

"Do you and Mum approve of Zayn and I?"

My dad said nothing. "As long as your happy."

"That doesn't help very much."

"I'm sorry." He sighed a little more.

"You don't. You don't like him." I broke away from his hug. "You don't!"

"Now's not a good time, Olivia!" He said firmly, making me flinch. I could tell he was upset now so I didn't push it any further, but I couldn't hide the tears in my eyes. He didn't even look at me. "Talk to Josh. He needs someone right now."

I huffed and reached for the phone, marching up to his room. The whole Devine family was officially upset. Maybe not Ben but certainly me. Right after a lovely date with Zayn, everything just fell apart.

I slowly opened his door to see Josh laying on his back, staring at the ceiling. I knocked quietly on the door and saw him look up. He patted the space next to him as I quietly shut the door.

"Hey," I whispered, sitting by him. I sniffed a little, not meaning to. Josh started to fuss over me but I shut him down. This was about him. Not me.

"He's mad at me. Isn't he?" Josh skipped right to the chase.

"No, he's more . . . Disappointed." I applauded myself mentally for the right word.

"He snapped at me. He said Mum would be even more upset because of me. Livi, I had to get her a-antidepressants!" He covered his face in his hands, letting out a huge sigh. I hugged him as best as I could, trying not to break down myself. Josh needed someone. I would be there. I had to he strong for him. He was always there for me when all I wanted to do was cry.

"Let it out. It's okay."

"N-No it's no, Olivia! Mum's super depressed, Dad hates me. There's nothing okay about this situation!"

"Okay, maybe it's not." I bit my lip. "It will be soon. I promise." I squeezed his hand. "Now, what happened at the bar?"

He sighed, and muttered, "I was out with some friends. Jerk was messing with some girl." His tear choked voice made me want to sob. It was thick, and heavy.