17

"There's city hall!" Kitty yells.

We're finally back in Republic City! I can't believe I'm saying this but, I'm very relieved to be here than in Zaofu right now. But apart of me is sad for the people who couldn't flee, who are still there under Kuvira's rule. I want nothing more than to help them, and if that means we had to leave Zaofu in order for that to happen, then so be it.

I look at Kitty and she looks better than ever. Like she's found peace. From what I've heard, Zaheer was a nightmare, and not only did he almost kill the Avatar, he almost killed Kitty, too. I don't understand why he'd help her after terrorizing her and her sister all of their life, but maybe I'm just not meant to know. Maybe this is one of those things you just don't question and let the universe handle.

When did I become so spirity?

Kitty blows the door open to the building, and the four of us run inside. We exhaustively bend over trying to catch our breath. Everyone is here, great! Raiko, Master Tenzin, Chief Lin, Firelord Izumi, Prince Wu, Opal, Bolin's brother, and-

No way...

I immediately look over to Kitty. She's in shock, which is expected. The Avatar, she's here! And she looks fine. I don't get it, where has has she been? While she was gone, Kuvira has been wrecking havoc and yet this is the first time anyone has seen her. Kitty hasn't seen her in years! I watch as her and Kitty have a staring competition. Kitty looks like she's going to throw up, and Mako looks like an idiot in love, which he obviously is. I don't blame him, Kitty has that affect on people.

"Bolin? Kitty?" Mako and Opal say simultaneously.

"What are you doing here?! Guards, remove these traitors!" Raiko says angrily and directs the guards to collect Varrick and Bolin.

Kitty snaps out of her funk and joins me as we help fight off the guards. Raiko is an idiot. Obviously if they're with us then they aren't a threat. Take it from someone who couldn't stand Varrick for the three years we've worked together. He's an idiot no doubt, but I can see he's trying to do the right thing.

"Let them go!" Kitty yells at them.

"They're with us, moron!" I say annoyed by the entire situation.

"No!" Bolin exclaims. "We escaped Kuvira's army! We're back on your side now! We have top secret information for you!"

I look to the council and moments later Raiko nods at the men who apprehended our friends. They let go of them, and I take my knee off one of their necks.

"Ok, I guess we should've opened with that line," Varrick says.

"Everybody listen up!" I start as I face the council. "Kuvira has created this device."

"It's a super weapon! Like a regular weapon, only super," Varrick finishes.

"And let me guess," Korra starts. " It has something to do with spirit vines?"

"Yes! How did you know?" Varrick asks.

"I saw a vision of her taking spirit vines from the swamp."

Oh, you have visions? Did you see the pain and suffering you caused your sister for three years?

"If she figures out how to harness their power, we are all doomed," Varrick explains.

It's not that I don't like the Avatar, I don't even know her. And believe it or not, I can understand how stressful her job is. It's not even a job, it's her life! My issue is, if she knows how hard this life is, then why did she force it on Kitty? At least she's always had her friends and Kitty. Kitty on the other hand was dropped by literally everyone. She left south only weeks after being poisoned, she took on this task, and everyone chose to abandon her... Hm, maybe I don't like her. Because not only did she screw over my best friend, she also screwed over the Earth Kingdom; my home.

The council and Raiko got nowhere. Honestly, I think Kitty and I agree when I say it was nice to see Raiko being denied. I will never understand how he has been able to get away with the crap he has. I mean, refusing to help the south when the north invaded? And then the spirit of chaos was set free and yet he still refused to help? The world was ending and he did nothing whatsoever! What was the point of even electing him if he does nothing but do press interviews and smile for the cameras?

Not only is Raiko completely useless, but now Suyin and her family have been captured and he has has done barely anything to help get them out! I'm frustrated, I'm stressed, and... I'm scared. My grandmother would probably slap me across the face if she heard me say that. I'm scared because Kuvira has my family. I love Suyin and Baatar Sr. My own folks didn't want me, and my grandmother stopped caring about me once my grandfather passed, but the Beifongs? They were always there for me. And now? Now it's just Opal and I, and Opal obviously hates me so... Who do I really have?

"I'm gonna go talk to Opal," Kitty says as she places a hand on my shoulder. "Are you coming?"

"I... don't think I'm ready to face her yet," I admit sheepishly.

"Ok, I understand. Take your time."

She leaves, and now it's just myself, along with Bolin's brother and the Avatar. Just my luck considering I'm not fans of either one of them right now. Mako is an absolute jerk, and I have been trying for years to understand what Kitty finds so appealing about him. Ok so he's handsome, I'll give him that, but he dated her sister after he lead her on for months, and even their relationship was doomed from the start. And you already know how I feel about Avatar Korra.

"Hey, you're that girl!" Mako points out. "From coronation day."

"Yeah! I recognize you from Su's guard," Korra adds. "What where you doing working for Kuvira?"

She cannot possibly be judging me right now, can she? Even if I were working for Kuvira, I'm here now. Bolin also worked for Kuvira and yet he is risking his life by telling them everything he knows. We all could have died, and yet we still took that chance. If anything, they should be thanking us!

"I didn't work for Kuvira," I admit as I roll my eyes. "And neither did Kitty."

"What are you talking about?" Mako says dumbfounded.

"We were hired by President Raiko as spies. We collected data for the past three years, and our task was to report on Kuvira and her job uniting the Earth Kingdom."

"Wait, so why didn't you report on this spirit vine business sooner?" Mako asks.

"My sister is a spy?" Korra asks in shock.

"Because we didn't know about it. We had to be added into her inner circle- Which is way harder to get into than you can imagine and took a very long time. Escaping Kuvira was nearly impossible. Varrick built a bomb, we had to fake our death, and so forth... I'm just paraphrasing here."

"Wow, that is... A lot," mako says stunned.

"Yeah," I say and turn around to leave.

I stop in my tracks. I can't just leave without saying anything. I can only imagine how Kitty feels right now, and if I were in her shoes, I'd probably be throwing up right now. She'd speak up for me as she's done in the past, and I want her to know that I have her back... even when the world turns their back on her.

"Excuse me as I speak freely. Believe me, I respect the Avatar and any member of Team Avatar, but while you were busy being an asshole- or, 'icehole' to her," I say to Mako and then turn to Korra,"And while you were off on vacay, Kitty was traveling the Earth Kingdom trying to keep from an allout war from breaking out, and she's done a damn good job of it. You could both apologize to her, but it will never be enough for the complete and utter hell that she's been through- but knowing Kitty, she'll forgive you. She's a good person, but that doesn't mean you deserve it."

They don't say anything. They just srand there looking pitiful. What can they say? They're jerks, and they're finally realizing it. They look at each other with guilty expressions. That felt really good, like, super good. It's been a long three years, but it feels good to see everyone's stupid faces finally get what they deserve.

...