Chapter Five; The Investigation

Murder of Crows

The first thing I could feel was the beating of my heart. Bdump... Bdump... Bdump... it was regular once again. Then, the sensation of the cold floor came, prickling at my skin.
"Ah...shit." I used my arms to pick myself up, having landed face down, I noticed a bit of blood which most likely came  from my nose, on the floor. There wasn't too much. Standing up, I grew dizzier, but continued my way towards one of the sinks.

Examining my face, I checked for any exterior bruising. Unfortunately, my lip was busted. Fortunately, it was my lip which caused the bloody mess, not my nose. I quickly cleaned up the small splatter, and made my way back towards the party room as professionally as possible.

"Ah, Y/N, there you are." Mr. Aftons' soothing voice called out in a tint of satisfaction, "Henry and I were beginning to worry." This surprised you, it also reminded you of the moment shared between you two just a moment ago.
"I apologize, I needed a moment to..." you scrambled to find the right words, "... process. To process." He hummed in understanding.

"Are you alright?" Mr. Afton seemed slightly startled. "Well, I-... I believe there is no simple answer for that." He averted his eyes, a faint frown on his face. He was clearly stressed. "How are Mrs. Amy, and Charlotte?" You furrowed your brows, worried for the two women. They seemed ever so loving and caring for their child.
"They're... as you would expect for any parent to react to such a situation. This isn't any light topic." He turned to look at the two mothers, both of which had fallen asleep at a party table, still embraced in eachothers arms. He let out a sigh, dropping his gaze to the floor.

He looked back up into my saddened eyes with a comforting smile, "Y/N, would you be a dear and get these two some water? I am sure they will wake soon, as the police are soon to arrive. Same reason why I cannot go myself. There should be some in the minifridge, in the kitchen." Mr. Afton smiled warmly. Nodding in response, you made your way towards the kitchen.

Entering the kitchen, you were immediately hit with a stench. Though of what, you were unaware. You turned the light out of simple paranoia, despite the fact the well lit, glass door mini fridge well illuminated its own passage.
You dashed back to the Party Room with the two sweated water bottles, quickly placing them on the table where the two women lay exhausted.

A hand met you on your shoulder from behind as you stepped back, "Thank you, darling." Mr. Afton spoke softly, apparent he was rather close. It felt strange not having him in your eye sight, you felt vulnerable. Perhaps you were too startled, the multiple kind smiles given from him to you were charming, and comforting. How bad could he possibly be? Finally, you were able to breathe out a faint response,
"Of course."

The police had arrived not so long after, but only did a brief investigation after being told only a few out of the 24 guests stayed in the building after the incident. Contacts for all who stayed were noted, as well for the rest of the guests, to ensure everyone showed up for the questioning taking place tomorrow.

You were just finishing gathering your things in the staff room when you heard a firm knock on the door, followed by its creaking.
"Y/N?" It was Mr. Afton.
"Ah, hello, Mr. Afton, may I be of your assistance?" He smiled at your response. He let the rest of himself in, hands behind his back, observing you carefully.

"Thank you... I was wondering if you could cover your night shift till 6 tomorrow night? The police are going to be on surveillance tonight extracting evidence. We're going to need you specifically since you're our only night shift employee..."  You frowned,
"Only? Wasn't there another?" He chuckled nervously, "Right... she quit on the spot after the incident..." You sighed, assuming you'll continue to take the night shift until further notice. "I truly apologize."
You smiled gently at him, "It is alright, I understand this is a time of need."