Lost And Found

I sprinted down an ally, feeding off my adrenaline high. The buildings concealed me in there silhouettes and I was grateful for the darkening sky.

After I made a mess of the restaurant, I high tailed it out of there. My wings had disappeared as quick as they came the moment I turned my back on the destruction I caused.

I tried to block the images forming inside my mind but they'd already anchored themselves down.

Tables and chairs had smashed against the walls. The glasses, plates, and windows had shattered. Levi's body hung halfway out the window, shards of glass sliced through his torso. Samual had one foot of a table staked through his heart. I recalled the unknown man and his beast being tossed like rag dolls back out the doors they came through but didn't know how they fared.

I killed them.

My heart hammered in my chest. My stomach lunched and gurgled. I grabbed the nearest garage bin and hurled up anything my body had to give.

I continued running until I collapsed from shear exhaustion. The wound on my chest had blackened and scabbed. I didn't understand how that was possible, but then again I didn't understand how any of this was possible so I suppose it was the theme of the day.

A heavy sigh escaped my dry lips. My brain needed time to process all that happened, but I couldn't remain in the middle of the road I collapsed upon.

I crawled forward on my bruised knees for a few feet before I stopped for a breather. Now that the adrenaline was fading I was working on borrowed time. My body was meant to go immobile at some point.

I leaned forward and laid my head in my hands. A tremor made its way through my body, and I was about to give way to it's restless needs when my ears perked at the sound of approaching hoofbeats.

The horse that made its way down the street in front of me was skin and bone. It's hair was an inky black and snarled. The front of its muzzle looked like a beak of a bird. Some form of cruel beauty radiated from it.

It hauled along a large wagon with it and continued past me before stopping in front of a random building. A scrawny man stepped out of the wagon and entered the building without knocking. I suppose this meant they didn't have cars in hell because I don't know why someone would use a horse and buggy as a means of travel in this place.

If I wasn't so afraid of what might prowl these streets after dark then I might have stopped myself from lugging over to it.

The horse noticed my arrival and pawed at the ground with his hoove. I put my finger up to my lips in a desperate plee to the universe that it wouldn't make a scene.

"Shh. It's okay boy." I lifted out my quivering hand to it. It's glazed eyes seemed void of any emotion but followed my hand cautiously. "I just need to hitch a ride." I whispered. "Is that okay with you?"

The horse shoved its chilly beak into my hand and slowly blinked twice. I took that as acceptance and thanked him before backing away and examining the wagon.

There'd be no way I could simply sit inside the wagon with the man inhabiting it. Stealing it wasn't an option because I had no idea where I'd go.

My eyes caught on the wood below the wagon. There was great gap separating the underside of the wagon from the ground due to the wheels holding it up. I could fit my body under it but would I be able to hold onto the wood long enough for it to reach its destination?

I slide onto my stomach and scooted under the wagon. I rolled onto my back and investigated the wood above me. I could lift myself up and hook both my legs and arms onto the planks, but there'd be nothing separating me from the gravel, sticks, and bumps we might hit in the road.

This is a terrible idea. I'll have better luck stealing the horse and wagon and seeing where they get me.

I shifted to move back out from under the wagon when I heard a door slam shut, an outburst of profanity followed momentarily afterward. I cursed my own stupidity before hastily hooking the arms and legs around the boards.

I watched the mans feet progress towards me. I didn't notice I was holding my breath until I felt the familiar ache in my lungs. I took in a long drawn out breath before releasing it.

I took in consideration that his shoes were well worn but of fine quality. As he opened the door of the wagon a pouch fell on the ground. I suppressed the urge to groan at my pitiful luck.

My heart thumbed a thunderous beat as the man leaned over to snatch the pouch back up. I prayed to any god who may exist that he didn't look my way.

My prayer was answered when the mans glaze remained focused towards the building he'd exited. His fist clenched around the pouch and then he stood and climbed into the wagon.

Silent tears of relief slide down my cheeks. Every inch of my body felt burnt out, and I had to keep all the attention I could into readjusting my slackening grip on the stiff boards.

I tweaked my position beneath the wagon again to make myself as comfortable as possible. I heard the horse neigh and I watched as it's hooves trudge forward.

Hidden by the gloom of the moonless sky, the wagon departed into the dead of night.

_______________________________

Author's Note: This chapter & the next one look best if you turn your phone to dark mode :)

_______________________________