Morning Realizations

Mallory

He advanced on me. His face groveled in rage. I'd backed myself into a corner, locking my legs so they wouldn't shake so violently.

I don't remember what I'd said to make him so angry but it didn't matter now. I felt like a trapped animal who'd gladly chew its own limbs off than find out what happens next.

I could smell the alcohol on his breath as he leaned down to whisper in my ear. Both his hands rested on my upper arms, hard enough to bruise.

"What more do you want from me?" He breathed. "What haven't I already given you?" He pulled back to look into my eyes, the dark intent in his making my throat close up.

Every time we argued it was as if he'd forget who I was and what we were to one another.

"WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER ME?!" He shouted. I saw the slap coming before I felt the seerong sting of it across my cheek.

It stung, but knowing I wasn't in control of the situation was the greater cause of concern.

I tasted copper as I bit my lip to keep from crying out.

His dark eyes swallowed me whole. I tried to find the love they'd hold once this was done and over with but for now there was nothing.

"I—-I love you." I whispered, lifting up my hand to place it against his cheek. The tension in his body melted the second I rubbed my thumb against his skin.

"Oh Mal..." He trembled with emotion. "I'm so sorry... forgive me."

This is what he always did once his rage was burned out. I'd be terrified from it all and he'd sit and wait for me to fix him.

The sad thing is that I would.

The worst thing was that I'd stay.

Even when he'd leave me with bruises and scars, I'd stay.

I went to pull myself from his grip and his eyes narrowed.

"Don't try to manipulate me you whore." He hissed. In a panic I leaned my head back the furtherest I could and then yank it forward. The head butt caused him to loose his grip and he stumbled back.

It hurt like a son of a bitch.

I put my hand to my forehead only to pull it away when I felt the sensitive skin there leaking liquid.

A trickle of blood poured down my face and soaked the thread of my lips.

I braced for retaliation, fear churning in my gut.

His smirk held nothing but wickedness.

A whimper made its way past my lips.

𓅓

I awoke, the whimper ceasing. Sweat coated my skin and my hair. I took a deep breath and tried to turn my thoughts around from the past memories haunting me. The sheets around me were damp.

The sheets—

Satin bedsheets were piled around me. The sheets sticking to my body were black. The pillow covered with my matted hair was gold. A comforter lay at my feet with a golden flower pattern embedded into the black fabric.

A glance to my left revealed a large, gray framed window displaying an array of colors filling the sky outside. A red sun was rising and casted the what had to be the prettiest sunrise I'd ever seen. The wine red faded into a navel orange that continued to wane into a lemony yellow. Black curtains hung up above milky white ones, letting the light flood the room.

I drew my eyes away from the alluring scene. A gold lamp was on each side of the bed, and both were resting on black nightstands with gold handles. On the right stand lay a small stack of books. On the left stand two empty picture frames were placed side by side.

I rolled over to the edge of the bed away from the window. I had no idea how long I'd been asleep but I still ached all over. Due to this I stopped myself from getting up right away. With a deep and frustrated sigh I leaned back into the pillows.

It came as a great shock to realize a golden chandelier hung above the bottom of the bed. It drew my eyes upward by virtue of its sparkle.

The rest of the ceiling was black with golden square outlines. The walls around the room matched accordingly to the ceiling. My eyes had just been drawn to the enormous fireplace built into the corner of the room when I heard the sound of a doorknob rattling.

My eyes locked onto the black double doors.

My heartbeat picked up its pace as I shot out of the bed quick enough to stumble over my own two feet. I regained my balance as I picked up one of the books on the stand and took aim.

The man who entered could take any woman's breath away, but mine was held in newfound terror when my sixth sense told me he wasn't quite human.

He wore a black tailored suit and tie. One hand rested on the right doorknob as he stayed between me and the exit. The other hand was in his pocket as he leaned his shoulder against the frame of the opposing door.

"Hello darling."