Mangled Reflection

Mallory

I woke up suddenly, every thought in high definition.

My eyes strained to see in the utter darkness as my hazy nightmare began to fade away. My heart pounded in my chest, and my mind raced along with it. It felt as if a hypodermic of adrenaline has been emptied into my carotid.

My shaky legs barely held me as I stumbled my way to what I only assumed could be the bathroom. I jumped slightly when automatic lights turned on to the left of me, illuminating a glow throughout the room.

The walls were all black with beautifully crafted carvings. A crystal chandelier hung above a polished red bathtub with a gold faucet. A black stand sat alongside it. A round black ottoman sat at the end of it, a few books stacked on top. A tall lamp was in one corner and a small mirror surrounded by unlit candles sat on the floor of the other.

That was what lay in front of me. To the left of me, around the corner from the doorway, was the rest of the bathroom. A pearly white sink and counter were side by side with a gold framed mirror hanging above them.

Across from the sinks was a large bookshelf filled with books. On one side of the bookshelf was a fancy white toilet. A wall separated the one side of the room from the other. This made it so you'd be in the bathtub area unable to see the bookshelf and toilet. 

Beneath my bare feet the varnished wooden floor felt chilly. The room smelt of peppermint which must have been from the candles piled together on the floor. Who would have lit them previous nights?

I didn't have the energy to think the question over, let alone any others making me scatterbrained.

I turned the water on in the sink and scooped some into my palms. My breathing rate began to steady at last as I splashed my filthy face, savoring the cool sensation.

I grabbed the hand towel hanging on the rack against the side wall and dried the water droplets off my face. Returning to the sink I rubbed at my drowsy eyes and took a glance up into the grand mirror hooked above it.

My hands gripped the outer edges of the sink in horror.

An ear piercing scream tore from me, contrary to my wishes.