002 | are you earnest?

ii

ii. even when you try to hide it, a
smile creeps out from your teeth

ELIZABETH SAT IN THE DRAWING room with her 23 year old sister Amber and her 19 year old sister Heather. Jonathan was in another room with their father doing god knows what.

They were waiting for any callers to come and visit after last night for Amber, the girl having already had a boy come over and deliver a fresh batch of daisies.

"Viscount Anthony Bridgerton," the man at the door announced and Elizabeth and Amber stood up, Heather jumping up as well.

He stood at the door, a polite smile on her face as he looked at the Monroe family.

Elizabeth scoffs, "It better not be just you because if so I'd rather drop dead then have you as my brother in law," she said, folding her arms across her chest.

"Elizabeth!" Amber exclaimed, turning to Anthony, "I'm sorry about my sister Viscount Bridgerton, you're not a caller are you?"

"It's okay, I'm not here for you Amber, my apologies, I have a letter for you Ada," he said, holding the letter out and she took it, her fingers skimming over his slightly.

"Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out Bridgerton," Elizabeth said and he smirked, shaking his head as he turned, said hello to her younger sister before walking off.

"You know Lizzie, if you don't want him I'll have him," Heather said and Amber spluttered, unsure how her sister could use such attitude.

"Girls!" Amber stated, shaking her head at their attitude.

She had the same sarcastic and blunt personality as her sisters but managed to hold it in. As the eldest daughter she needed to get a good dowry for the family to he sustained upon.

They had a few callers during the morning, not as many as Daphne was getting as the diamond but a respectable amount.

Amber had taken a liking to the marquess Laurence with his dark tamed skin and sparkly brown eyes.

The girls had teased her, sure that their sister had found a guy that she liked so much that she was giggly about it.

☆☆☆

ELIZABETH STOOD IN THE HALL surrounded by all of the other suitors and women trying to attract them.

She hated the idea of all of these rituals. She wanted a love match if she could, someone who saw her as their equal and treated her like she deserved. But she knew that in this society it was unlikely.

"Go dance Elizabeth, I'm sure there are a few men out there," her father said and she nodded, standing on the sidelines, waiting for anyone to approach her.

He was ill and the family tried to ignore it but they knew that be might not make it for Heathers season in two years.

"I didn't even wish to be here papa, this is Amber's season not mine," she explained.