005 | art of the swoon

v

v. she can kill with a smile,
she can wound with her eyes

ELIZABETH STOOD IN THE
gallery, watching as her sister talked to Prince Friedrich. She knew her sister would never marry him but she allowed her to entertain the idea. 

Not only that but Elizabeth hated the stuffy outings they had to go on to attract suitors, but the gallery was a nice place to be.

Her father was talking to Violet so she walked over, a smile on her face as she greeted Anthony and some of the younger Bridgertons.

"It's been too long since we've caught up Violet, we must have tea some time," her father said, a smile on his face.

"Yes, maybe when your daughter gets married, I saw her talking to the Baron Winston the other day, a fine young man," she said, looking over to where Amber was.

"Yes, if only my other daughter could find such a suitable match," he said, looking over at Elizabeth as she talked to Daphne.

"I've told you father, I'm going to wait till next season," she said, adamant on her decision.

He held his hands up surrender, "my apologies dear, I just would like to see all my children marry before I die," he admitted.

She didn't know that he was sick with something that the doctors weren't sure of and weren't sure how to fix.

He knew though, and he didn't want the children to worry because soon, his youngest would be the man of the house and responsible for all of this.

Later that night, Elizabeth and Colin meandered around after talking to some old friends.

They caught up with Penelope and her atrocious siblings who's garish clothes were frightful to look at and they talked to the Duke of Hastings who was here with his Godmother. 

After seeing Benedict talking to some strange man, they approached him, ready to question him

"Who was that man you were talking to Benedict?" Elizabeth asked as her and Colin approached him.

Benedict seemed flustered, "Nobody, just an artist," he said, shaking his head, "Were you just talking to my brother?"

"Which one?" She asked teasingly and he chuckled.

"You know which one miss Monroe," he said, looking over to where Simon and Anthony were talking.

"I have no idea what you mean Mr Bridgerton," she said, hiding the smile on her face as she turned to look at the painting.

Little did she know, Anthony had turned to look at her, a smile hidden beneath his stoic composure as he looked at her.

☆☆☆

ANTHONY WAS SITTING IN HIS office, looking through the papers for the house when he heard a knock on the door.

He looked up and his mother walked in, a hesitant smile on her face and he wondered what she was up to.

"I have something for you to look at," she said, holding a piece of paper in her hands as she approached the desk.

He nodded and she placed them down. She didn't know how he would react to her matchmaking but she knew he needed it.

She wanted her son to be able to share his life with someone, not waste away in his office looking at papers all day.

"I have a list of names, fourteen eligible young ladies," she said and he sighed.

She knew he didn't care about courting or finding a match yet but he needed to think about it soon.

"Anything else?" He asked, not looking up from his work.

"One more lady who wasnt on the list," she said, taking a deep breath, "Elizabeth Monroe,"

He scoffed, pinching the bridge of his nose as he looked up at his mother in frustration.

"You really can't expect me to even consider that," he said, shaking his head.

He had considered it but it wasn't a well thought out idea. She needed someone who could love her and in all honesty, Anthony Bridgerton was not that person.

She was a vivacious and cheerful woman and he was boring and dedicated to his work. He would never be able to make him happy.

"You were checking the time before I got here, what is it?" His mother asked and he looked down at his father's pocket watch.

"Quarter to nine," he stated, once again not looking up from his work.

"I saw Elizabeth took a fancy in it, at the gallery," she stated, standing her ground.

She could see that there was something between the two and wasn't going to let her son not realise it.

He looked up at her, sighing, "Mother," he reprimanded.

"I'm just saying, the girl would be a suitable match," Violet explained.

"She's overly outspoken and can be quite crass at times. I don't see why you believe I'd even wish to spend the rest of my days with her," he said, shaking his head.

Violet shrugged her shoulders, "Just something to think about, time is a funny thing," she said before walking out of the room.

She left Anthony frustrated and confused, looking at a list of eligible women with one name scribbled at the bottom.