010 | oceans apart

x

x. oh he kissed me just to
kiss me, not to make me cry

ELIZBAETH SAT IN DAPHNES GARDEN; she had received mail from daphne with the girl asking is she wanted to come over for tea.

She assumed that it got lonely in such a large house without any children yet and so agreed, already missing her friend.

So that's how she found herself sitting on the patio, sipping tea in the afternoon sun as they gossiped over Marina and Colins failed engagement.

"I can't belive that Miss Marina had been with child the duration of the engagement," Daphne said, shaking her head.

It had been all over lady whistledowns papers and Marina had been so ashamed that she had left town, apparently moving in with the brother of the father of her child.

Elizabeth hummed in agreement, "It truly is a shock, your brother invited me to a dinner with the Featheringtons and they seemed eager for a fast engagement,"

Daphne nodded her head, "It explains why, they were concealing a bastard child," she said, shaking her head.

"Yes, your brother was furious when he found out," Elizabeth said, remembering how she had come to visit Violet and could hear Anthony yelling at Marina from the other room.

"I'm sure, but it wasn't colins fault, Marina beguiled him," she said and Elizabeth nodded in agreement.

She looked around the garden and the expanse of it all. It really was a beautiful home that Daphne had the privilege to live in.

"Its lovely to see you again Daphne, your house is amazing and these gardens," Elizabeth said, her voice trailing off at the end.

"Yes but I can see that something is going on," Daphne said, leaning against her hands as she looked at her friend.

She had known her long enough to be able to tell when something is plaguing her and she could only assume it had something to do with a man.

"What ever would you mean?" Elizabeth asked, furrowing her brows together as she feigned

"I mean that there is a question burning in your mind that you wish to ask?" She quized her friend.

Elizabeth looked into the distance, shaking her hed before looking at her friend, "Has Anthony ever spoke of me?"

"Excuse me?" Daphne asked, reaising her eyebrows in confusion. She hadn't expected that question. She thought it had something to do with a man but not her brother

"Your brother, has he ever said anything nice about me?" Elizabeth repeated, trying not to look too obvious.

"Of course, he thinks you're wonderful b-" Daphne started before realising what she meant, "-You like Anthony,"

"I do not have feelings for your brother, I am merely curious," she said with a scoff, tensing up at the accusation.

"No, I saw the way he looked at you at my wedding, when did this begin?" Daphne asked.

She had a wide smile on her face, before, she had always believed that her brother had had a thing for her best friend but she didn't know when this had happened.

She had wanted something more exciting to happen, wanting something more exciting than her life with her husband.

"He did kiss me, before the duel," Elizabeth admitted, a blush spreading over her face.

"Oh he kissed you!" Daphne said with a gasp, clapping her hands slightly, "Implore me Elizabeth, what happened next?"

"I don't need to tell you it all Daphne," she said coyly, watching as her friends face contorted into one of horror.

"You and my brother didn't-" she started and Elizabeth cut her off with a scoff.

"Oh no, no," she said, shaking her head, "Actually he kissed me then told me he would never feel love for me,"

Daphne nodded her head, "Ah, that seems like my brothers character," she said solemnly, "I always did think he had some feelings for you Elizabeth,"

She sighed, shaking her head, "Well it is of no matter now, next year I will meet a wonderful man and he will love me unconditionally,"

There was a sad smile on her face as she looked out at the grounds, wondering if that man could have been Anthony. But she let it go, not wishing to dwell on it for any longer.

☆☆☆

ELIZABETH SAT ON THE BENCH IN the park, about to move when she saw a darn figure heading iver but she stopped when she saw it was only Anthony.

"Evening," he said, sitting down next to her. He wasn't going to ask why she was on a park bench at night because he knew she would never answer him.

"You've been in a fight?" She questioned and he turned to her, brows furrowed as he trid to figure out what she meant.

"Why would you assume that?" He asked, ignoring the fact that he had been in a fight.

"Why would I assume that?" She repeated, shaking her head, "Maybe because you've got a cut on your temple,"

"Bollocks," he exclaimed, unsure as to how she noticed.

She shook her head, looking at him, "It's not visible," she stated.

"I got into a scuffle with the Duke," Anthony admitted.

"Okay," Elizabeth said with a shrug of her shoulders, not looking at him.

"You're not going to ask why?" He questioned, looking over at her

"It's not my issue," she said, standing up and holding her arm out, "Walk me home and ill forget that I saw you?"

"Okay," he said, repeating what she had said earlier.

The two walked away in silence together, neither knowing what to say and neither wanting to say anything at all.

1129 words