011 | after the rain

xi

xi. and we were dancing, dancing
like we're made of starlight

THE NEXT FEW DAYS WERE GOOD for Elizabeth and her family. Her sister had been proposed to by Lord Dashner and she was very happy with it.

Amber was focused solely on an August wedding and excited with the rest of her life with Henry, the duo were already excited for the rest of their lives.

She was happy for them and couldn't wait to see them at Daphnes first ball as the Duchess of Hastings at Clyvedon tomorrow.

She walked into the Bridgerton household, the man at the door introducing her as she walked into the family living room.

They all turned to look at her and Elizbaeth smiled when she noticed a certain girl sitting next to Daphne at the piano.

"Francessa!" She exclaimed and the girl turned around, a smile on her face as she saw Elizabeth.

"Oh, Miss Monroe," she said, getting up and walking over, pulling the girl into a hug.

They were friends, although Elizabeth mostly spent her time with Penelope, Daphne and Eloise, and she had missed her at school.

"It's been so long how has finishing school been?" She asked, the two girls walking over to the piano.

"Oh wonderful, you must come to my mother's family tea next weekend and I'll tell you all about it," Francessca stated.

"If its not too much of a hassle," she said, looking at the family that she saw as her own.

Anthony strode over from his seat by Eloise and Benedict and took Elizabeths hand, pulling her over to the other side before pressing a kiss to her knuckles and letting go.

She just stood there, everyone watching the two of them, her eyes wide. He had a wide grin on his face and everyone was confused.

"Would you sing for us Elizabeth," he asked before turning to Daphne at the pianoforte, "she has a lovely voice"

She blushed, shaking off th previous interaction as she looked at the family, "Oh I cannot Anthony,"

"Please, just one for me," he asked, pressing his palms together as he begged her for it.

She laughed at his antics before Daphne started to play, Elizabeth singing along. She missed when her family used to do this

☆☆☆

ELIZABETH STOOD AT THE BALL AT Clyvedon Hall, a smile on her face as she walked over to her father.

He stopped his coughing, wiping his mouth as he shoved his handkerchief into his inside jacket pocket.

"So, now that your sister is married, do you want to find yourself a man?" He suggested and she shook her head.

"Father, I told you I don't need to right now," she said, wanting to spend the next year by herself before she tied herself to a man.

"It's just a suggestion, and you know I don't have long left dear," he said, placing a supportive hand on her shoulder.

"Sure you do father," she said, her smile fading slightly at his suggestion that he wasn't going to make it.

He stopped smiling, looking at her with a serious expression, "No Elizabeth, you know I don't," he stated.

She stood there, trying not to let the tears well over cheeks as she thought about the inevitability of becoming an orphan.

Luckily, Eloise and Violet came over at that time, a smile on Violets face and an irritated look on her daughters.

"Miss Bridgerton, you are looking lovely for your first ball," Her father said to Eloise, a fake smile back on his face.

Eloise smiled back, "Thank you Lord Monroe, its itchy and I hate it," she admitted.

Violet shook her head as she looked at her daughter but Peter just chuckled, looking at his daughter. 

"Never stop being you Eloise, never stop," He said, a smile on his face.

"That's very kind of you Lord Monroe, now I'm going to steal your daughter here and we're going to terrorise local townspeople," she said, a smirk on her face.

She grabbed her hand, the two of them giggling as they walked over to the side of the ball.

"Isn't it dreadful here?" Eloise said, resting her head on the wall.

Elizabeth chuckled at her friend, "No, it becomes bare able eventually," She explained.

"Have i told you my theory on who Whistledown is?" Eloise said.

She started to ramble on about the fact that madame delacroix was the holder of the coveted pose and eloise sang her praises.

Elizabeth listened but also looked out at the crowd, at the couples dancing in the night even as it started to rain.

"Oh look, it's Simon and Daphne," Eloise pointed out as she watched her sister walk put into the open roofed area in the hall.

It had started to rain and Daphne was beginning to get wet from the rain, Simon just stepped out, the two continuing to dance.

The girls laughed as they were ushered our of the ball, Eloise explaining all about her plan for Lady Whisteldown.

Elizabeth just smiled, knowing that she had had a wonderful season and that hopefully next time, she would find someone just as wonderful as her sister and best friend had.

952 words