The Model

The Model

During his gap year in Cape Town in 2004, Henry met Xenia, and from there on and during their most formative years, the couple would navigate young adulthood together.

She was an unexpected choice of romantic partner for Prince Harry. She raised eyebrows not for her status in British high society but for her profession as a model.

From being a London "it girl" and tabloid darling to humanitarian princess. Harry was the rebel prince turned soldier, considered the world's most eligible bachelor; now a devoted husband and father.

The couple has come a long way from their wild days. Now to the British press, their romance was catnip. Here was a golden couple who were able to draw vast crowds, speak the language of younger generations and sprinkle royal stardust on any cause.

In November 2011, Harry got down on one knee to propose to Xenia as they made dinner together at their home in Kensington Palace.

Harry had designed the ring, featuring a 7-carat oval-cut diamond which had belonged to his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales set in 18kt yellow gold.

The ring features a hidden halo with diamond-embellished prongs, with additional platinum prongs chosen for extra security and sits on a plain gold band. The ring is valued at over $250,000.

The couple shared their story in a candid interview with the BBC, and appearing brimming with positivity for the future.

They revealed Xenia would give up modeling to focus on causes close to her heart, working alongside her husband-to-be.

"I know that she will be unbelievably good at the job part of it," said Harry.

Things began to shift as preparations got under way for a May 2012 wedding in London.

The wedding, which much of the world tuned in to watch, had all the traditions - a stunning dress, cheeky bridesmaids, and heartfelt vows.

Married life brought with it new titles - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - and a new home at Kensington Palace.

In October of that year, the couple embarked on their first royal tour, visiting Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Tonga, over 20 days.

On December 31, 2012, letters patent issued by Queen Elizabeth gave the title and style to all children of the Prince of Wales's sons.

Then after two years of marriage and a rare moment in royal history, royal sisters-in-law announced jointly that they were expecting children.

Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Sussex are expecting. The Queen and members of both families are delighted with the news.

Prince Octavius of Sussex (Octavius Charles Philip), seventh in line to the throne and the Queen's sixth great-grandchild, was born on 6 May 2015.

To Harry, who was by Xenia's side at the birth, little Octavius was "absolutely to die for".

Xenia would go to experience several miscarriages before once again getting pregnant around the same time as her sister in law.

Princess Vera of Sussex, their second child, eighth in line to the throne and the Queen's eighth great-grandchild was born on 11 June 2018. Prince Philip had the honor of naming the new princess: Vera Elizabeth Philippa.

After months of reports, Buckingham Palace makes it official: after operating under the same organizational umbrella as The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will branch out on their own.

"The Queen has agreed to the creation of a new Household for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The Household, which will be created with the support of The Queen and The Prince of Wales, will be established in the spring."

In April, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have launched their own Instagram account.

In their first post, Harry and Xenia said: "Welcome to our official Instagram; we look forward to sharing the work that drives us, the causes we support, important announcements, and the opportunity to shine a light on key issues. We thank you for your support, and welcome you to @dukeandduchessofsussex."

dukeandduchessofsussex is following a handful of other accounts - including those of other members of the royal family, as well as those representing their own charities and causes close to their hearts.

Kensington Palace's Instagram account announced that it would solely focus on the work of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and that a new account had been created just for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. "Welcome to Instagram, @dukeandduchessofsussex!" the caption reads.

Less than a week after launching their joint Instagram account, they already accumulated 5.6 million followers.

Currently, the Sussexes still share their Twitter account with the Cambridges. Twitter name: The Dukes and Duchesses of Cambridge & Sussex | @KensingtonRoyal

In 2020, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex inked an exclusive multiyear deal with Spotify through newly formed production company Kensington Audio. Together, they plan to host and produce podcasts that uplift, inspire and entertain audiences.

On Valentine's Day of 2021, Harry and Xenia revealed that they were expecting their third child. "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their third child," a statement released for the couple said. The duo also released a sweet portrait to celebrate the news.

On Sunday, June 6, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced that their daughter Princess Maud of Sussex, ninth in line to the throne and the Queen's tenth great-grandchild was born Friday, June 4 at 11:40 a.m. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex named their third born Maud Diana Victoria.

As of May 2021, Harry and Xenia have been married for nine years and together for seventeen years with three children.

Started March 25, 2022
Published March 28, 2022
Completed tba

A Prince Harry Fanfiction.