Chapter 6 - Runaway

A/N: Yes. I'm still doing this.

Starflight paced nervously around the library. He was extremely upset. At least one third of his students had disappeared, and he hadn't been fast enough with the tablets. It's all my fault, the school is failing, it's all my fault. Most importantly, Sunny was gone, and he didn't even have a trashy backup girlfriend to comfort him.

Moon abruptly cut through his fluttering tornado of worries, "Don't call Fatespeaker trashy. She was doing the best she could. From what I see in her thoughts, she just needs attention. She needs people who admire her." Starflight had almost forgotten Moon was there until then. She had been so quiet, clearly deep in her scroll, but not deep enough for her to overhear his thoughts.

"Sorry," he apologized. He didn't mean to be rude, and now he felt bad. He shouldn't have said that mean thing, or any of the mean things he'd said. There were so many problems Starflight couldn't solve, like a thousand sharks lunging toward him all at once. Or stuck in a spinning whirlpool of emotions. Stuck in a cycle, his motion sickness increasing by the minute. What if everyone disappears? What if he never saw Sunny again? What if he never was able to apologize to Fatespeaker before something happened to him, or her, or both of them? What if this was the end of the world as he knew it?

Moon shifted uncomfortably, then moved farther from him. "I'm sorry, but your thoughts are really distressing to me. It's hard to focus when the dragon next to me is a bombarding hurricane of negative thoughts. No offense, but it's just really stressing me out." Her comment didn't help at all. See? Now your worries are pushing away your friends. What if all my friends hate me now? Argh, I'm worrying even more! STOP WORRYING, STARFLIGHT, STOP WORRYING!

----------------------------

Fatespeaker had no worries at all. The wind was in her wings, and she felt... Free. Free from all the chaos at home. Free from all the whispered secrets no one would tell her, the disapproving looks on by-passer faces, the heavy weight of carrying everyone's responsibilities, the messy tangle of social complications, and bad relationships. She could just be herself and let the world be. She looked at her green partner, who was flying along beside her, and beamed.

"What are you so happy about?" He asked. Fatespeaker shrugged, "Oh, you know. There are just so many things I have to carry, back at Jade Mountain. So many problems to deal with, and so escaping for even a few days feels like I've just broken out of a cage I've been trapped in for years." He nodded sympathetically, and replied, "I could relate. Escaping my old life and the Talons of Peace made me feel like I've left all my problems behind."

"But I think that the best part of my trip to the mountains," Fatespeaker started, "Is meeting you." He smiled sheepishly. "Aw, thanks." She thought for a moment. "You need a name. A real name. Unless you want me to call you "Ditched-my-name" for the rest of your life."

He chuckled. "I would prefer if you didn't." Fatespeaker thought of some SeaWing names. "Hmm, we could do... Jellyfish? Seahorse! Whale! Crab, maybe. Stingray? Oh, what about Clownfish?" The SeaWing considered her ideas, then said, "How about... Algae?"

"Algae. I like that. It suits you."

----------------------------

Sunny immediately jumped onto the now wide hole in the floor when she heard a dragon approaching. Luna created a small thread of flamesilk so that she could see who was coming. Ravenwing walked in front of their cell, holding a ring of keys. Keys! Yes! Are we being set free? She was accompanied by a NightWing Sunny didn't recognize.

"You, come with me. SandWing, you are to stay here." Ravenwing hissed at her, and added, "We won't let you escape this time." She unlocked the cell for a split second, yanked Luna out, then quickly shut the cell. What does she mean, "this time"? She had never met any of the dragons here, except Tundra. She thought, and thought, and thought. Finally, her mind snagged onto a memory.