24

Ch24

Brooks walked back into Claire's bedroom in a daze. Anna was still at her post, watching over Claire from the bedside. He'd grown closer to Anna over the past several days and even though he'd tried to talk himself out of it, there was just no denying the fact he was attracted to her. Anna was everything he never knew he wanted. Smart, centered, down-to-earth, so unlike the Hollywood bimbo that normally adorned his arm. But what would she want with a guy like him? As hard as it was for him to believe, she seemed somewhat interested, too. Brooks wanted more than anything to prove he was no longer the way he used to be. He longed for her to take him seriously and not assume he was still the devious playboy everyone accused him of. Of course, he'd been that way, once upon a time, but that was all in the past. And she actually believed him when he'd confessed that to her! And she hadn't made him feel shameful, instead, she encouraged his attempts. 

What would she say now? Brianna Walters. Pregnant. Could he actually be the father of her baby? No way was he ready to be a father, he could barely take care of himself! Brooks quietly sunk back into the chair he'd been sitting in and continued to watch the scene in front of him. He'd always thought he'd been in love with Claire, but now he knew he hadn't been. Sure, Claire was beautiful. She was sweet and nurturing and amazing, but he hadn't been in love with her. He was in love with the idea of her. Why had he fought it for so long? Why had he relentlessly pursued females who were completely opposite of what he actually craved? Because of his image? God, he made himself sick! 

If there was some way to make this right, he would do it. If he was actually the father of Brianna's baby, he would step up and be the best father he could be. Every child deserved to grow up with loving, stable parents. He knew he wasn't strong enough right now, but he would learn to be. He had to. No baby of his was going to go fatherless. He would do the right thing and marry Brianna, too. Even if he didn't love her, he would do his best to make things right. He wanted his child to be proud of him. He needed them to be. He could do this, he would do this. He would make this work. 

His eyes traveled back over to Anna, and she caught his gaze, lifting the corner of her mouth in a small smile. Brooks smiled back, but he felt empty inside. No. He wouldn't think about what could have been, it was too late for that. Finally, his selfish, irresponsible actions had caught up with him, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I'm going to make this right. Even if Brianna isn't the woman of my dreams, I need to do this for the—

Suddenly, his thoughts were interrupted by an alarm on his phone, alerting him to a new text message. His heart dropped, not wanting to know who it was. What if it was more bad news? What if it was Jonathon Walters looking for his head on a silver platter?

Anna eyed him suspiciously. He had to check the message. With a hard swallow, Brooks lifted the phone from the pocket of his button-down shirt, trying to convince himself to look at the screen. He'd just take a quick peek and then tuck the phone away. Maybe he should just get rid of his phone? It never seemed to bring him any good news anyway.

With a heavy heart, Brooks glanced at the name. Oliver McGee. What the hell does he want?

Quickly, he pulled up the text, letting his eyes scan over the message.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"Martin," Ashton began timidly, stepping out of her comfort zone for the first time ages. She cradled the phone between her ear and her shoulder and contemplated what to say next. She never had been very good at saying sorry, but somehow she knew she had to try, even if it did make her feel like throwing up her breakfast. Martin was a good guy, and a good friend. She may not be interested in a romantic relationship with him, but she did value his friendship, and she didn't want to lose that. "I owe you an apology . . . and an explanation."