27

Ch27

Juliana pulled her white Bentley up to the prophetic-looking estate and parked in the driveway situated in the front. She hopped out and quickly ran up the staircase leading to the elegant porch, thankful to have made it there in one piece. Thanks to the storm, the roads that lead to Point Dune were treacherous, as drivers tried to make their way to their destinations quickly. As Juliana stood waiting for someone to answer the door, she shook out her long hair, the raindrops dripping relentlessly from the ends. After a minute, a dignified-looking man answered, and ushered her into an impressive marble foyer. She followed him into the next room, a sitting room, decorated in mahogany wood molding and warm gray walls. It would have been a pleasant combination if the enormous windows hadn't been covered by the looming trees situated outside. Dim slivers of light made their way past the branches, barely allowing enough in to illuminate the room.

A chill made it's way up her spine as she declined a glass of wine from the man who had answered the door, and she clutched the sweater she wore tighter around her. Hired help always made Juliana feel uncomfortable. Maybe it was because of her upbringing in Columbia? Her mother had worked odd jobs as a maid for the wealthier residents, and on occasion she would bring Juliana with her. She'd always been warned not to touch anything, and never, but never, look the lady of the house in the eye. "You're a beautiful girl, Juliana," she would often tell her, "And other women do not like to be in the company of beautiful women." She had only been a child at the time, and didn't understand her mother's life-lessons. Why would a grown woman feel threatened by her? It made no sense. But true to her mother's word, the wealthy women didn't seem to appreciate her presence in their home. Once they got a look at her, they raise their privileged noses and speak down, as though she were a stray dog no one wanted.

"Juliana," Oliver McGee greeted her from the doorway. He walked over and gave her a kiss on each cheek. "You're the first to arrive. It's been so long! You look magnificent." He stepped back and studied her carefully, making her feel uncomfortable.

"Thank you, Oliver. You look very well yourself." It hadn't exactly been the truth, but Juliana had learned at a young age that people liked to be complimented, even if you had to lie through your teeth to do it.

"How are the roads?" he asked, walking over to the elegantly dressed man and taking a glass of wine from the tray positioned in his arms. "Would you like something to drink?" he questioned, looking back at her.

Juliana shook her head. "No, I'm good, thank you." It had been quite awhile since she'd had her last drink, and she didn't plan on caving any time soon. "The roads are getting pretty bad. The rain is really coming down. I was happy to have made it here alive," she said with a tight smile.

"Well, I hope the weather doesn't delay our other guests. We have much to discuss tonight."

Juliana nodded and hoped he would elaborate, at least give her an idea of what this meeting was all about. But he didn't. Instead, he walked to the window and stared out at the darkened sky above. "It really is ugly out there. "I do hope everyone drives safely."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Four months pregnant, how is that even possible? Claire wondered for the dozenth time. She'd only missed her lasts two periods! How could she be pregnant and still have a period? "It's not exactly a period," her doctor explained. "Intermittent bleeding at the beginning of pregnancy may seem like a period, but it's not quite the same as menstruation."

Other than a low blood pressure—which most likely had been causing the dizzy spells, and the lack of appetite—which should be about over now that she was out of the first trimester, she and the baby had gotten a clean bill of health. In fact, she was almost far enough along to determine the sex! Would they do that? Would Miller want to know if the baby was a boy or girl, or would he prefer to be surprised? Claire wanted to wait. There was something about not knowing that made the whole thing even more magical than it already was.  Four months pregnant—who would have guessed! That meant in about six short months, approximately 180 days, she and Miller would become parents! She could hardly believe it. No wonder she had already started to show.