Chapter 22

I worked religiously behind the scenes while Dexter and I continued our fake dating charade. Today was New Year's Eve and we had been invited to a party with some of the most influential people in the car community thanks to Zara's crafty work. Unfortunately, that meant that I didn't have time to work, spending my time stitching together a new gown because obviously, nothing directly off the rack would do for me. everything could use a little flair in life, after all.

The navy gown was perfection when I put it on. It floated to the floor with grace and ease. The silver stitching and the beading that I had added to it made me shine, the beautiful lines and stones making constellations on my body. I felt like a celestial being, thunderous, but soft like the night breeze. My hair was twisted into a sophisticated top knot with strands framing my face. Fake diamonds dripped from my earlobes, looking so close to the real thing I was sure no one would notice, though they would all be walking jewelry stores.

Dexter arrived at my house on time. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his Astro van, knowing fully well that he had opted to drive just so we could show up in that monstrosity. Eyes would be on us, minds wondering why he couldn't just drive a BMW like the rest of them. I said nothing, just climbed in.

The whole acting thing was getting easier with each fake date we went on. We walked into the party, moving through a stately mansion as if we owned the place. It became natural to put my hand in his, to seek him out when we got separated. I could smile and laugh with the other women in the room, act like I was the most supportive person on the planet, just cheering on my partner.

But even all of that fake adoration did not override the agent within me. I was across the grand room, giggling with two women who were decades older than me, about their husbands. From the corner of my eye, I saw a man clapping Dex on the shoulder, saw his whole body tighten at the contact. He took something in his hand, slipping it into his pocket discretely.

"Your dress is just darling," one of the women gushed. "Where did you find such a gem?"

"A department store," I replied, stepping away from them.

"You must be lying! There is no way you found this anywhere other than a luxury boutique."

"Well, I embellished it myself and added a little extra."

"Oh, that is marvelous!"

I didn't have it in me to care if she really thought that or was horrified that I created something myself instead of paying someone to do it for me. "Sorry, I think I have neglected my partner for too long. I should be getting back to him," I lied, and darted away as quickly as I could without looking urgent.

I knew I could be overreacting, but the last thing I wanted was to miss a chance. It could be nothing. It was probably nothing. But if it was something, I needed to get my fingers on it before Dex decided that he wanted to get rid of this piece of evidence as well.

"Hey, have you tried these mini beef tourtieres? They are so good," Dexter said when he saw me coming right for him. There was no tension in his shoulders, no panic gripping his jaw. I didn't care.

No one was within hearing range so I didn't have to mince my words or censor anything. My fingers were on his pants before he could even take a step back. I traced the outline of his pockets, feeling for whatever he had tucked away so quickly. My touch was thorough and invasive before he snatched my hands in his own.

"You can't just grope me in the middle of a party, Lonny," he hissed, pulling me in towards him so his lips were at my ear.

"What is in your pocket?"

"Nothing. Christ, didn't Jasper tell you that you didn't need to solve this case?"

"Are you saying it's something for the case?" I demanded. I moved to touch him again, but he refused to let me move.

"No, it's a fucking business card. He saw my races and he wants to put me in contact with one of his sponsors."

"I don't believe you, show me."

I was all focus and control, but something changed in his hold on me. "Can you just behave for one night, sweetheart?"

That little word caused a flare within me and when I leaned back to look at his amber eyes, I saw that Dexter knew exactly what he was doing. He always knew.

"Behaving is overrated. And I'm here to work, nothing more." I said the words, but I didn't really believe them. I had technically been working every time we had been intimate. It hadn't stopped me then. I doubted it would stop me now.

"Alright, you want to work and cause a scene, you go ahead. It's not like I don't enjoy your hands on me," he teased. "However, I think you are forgetting that good girls often get rewarded, sweetheart."

His words were one hell of an incentive. As much as I wanted to keep distance between us, I had somehow decided that casual sex couldn't be so bad. Especially not when it was so good. I hated that I could be swayed so easily, hated that I was so weak.

I stepped back and forced a small, civil smile on to my lips.

"Very good, now let's mingle," he whispered, placing a hand low on my back. Just high enough to be decent in public.

But even so, the night ended without much fanfare. As sexy as Dex could be, there was no way he could compete with all of the dry, old men, acting as if they weren't pretentious when we both knew they were judging us. It was all polite, of course, but the slight jabs were still barbed enough to catch the skin. Dex had such an interesting car. Dex had so much funding for so little experience. He must have been so lucky to meet with a queen who was so generous.

We didn't make it until midnight, bowing out early after we had our fill of snacks too upscale to be called appetizers.

"I think I might have an idea who is coming after you," I said around the straw in my mouth. Only Dexter would know that I would want an iced coffee after a party like that. Something sweet, but bitter. Ice cold on a frigid night.

Dexter's eyes didn't leave the icy road before us, but his grip tightened on the wheel. "You know that is not the expectation, Lonny," he said, almost scolding me.

I might not have had clearance like all of the other Kingsley's but I knew that pushing where it hurt, making people squirm, often lead to victories. And sweet Dexter was wriggling like a worm.

~~~Distraction Section~~~

What makes you really angry?

Politicians and corruption for me. It doesn't matter what side you are on, it is everywhere. And it hurts everyone, but especially low income people most of the time.