Chapter 7

Belle stirred in her bed, her head throbbing.

“Quick she’s awake! Fetch the doctor!”

“Give this to her!”

Belle blinked her eyes several times, not believing what she was seeing.

“Papa?” she asked.

“Hush, my dear girl,” Leon said, sitting by her bed, holding a goblet of wine to her, “I’m here. Here, drink some of this. Get some spirit back in you.”

Belle’s mouth pursed at the strong drink, coughing slightly as it burned down her throat. Leon took the goblet from her, placing it on the table beside them. He grabbed a bowl of porridge, arranging a spoonful for her to eat, holding it up to her mouth.

“Doctor’s orders,” he said. “You need to finish this bowl.”

“What are you doing here?” she asked, obediently taking the spoonful Leon fed her.

“The lord came and fetched me, telling me you were unwell. I was half worried to death that you were on your deathbed when he assured me you were in no danger, but that you would want to see me,” Leon answered.

Emilie opened the doors to the room. In came an older gentleman, immediately rushing to Belle’s side to inspect her. Following after him was Jacques and lastly Prince Jean who lingered just outside the door.

“Still weak,” the doctor reported to Jean, “but with some rest and food, she’ll recover.”

“It seems that you’ve overworked yourself, mademoiselle,” the doctor said, turning back to Belle. “Remember that if you don’t take care of yourself, your body will stop and make you.”

“Yes doctor,” Belle smiled. “Thank you.”

“Well,” the doctor straightened up, “You’re already looking much better and I expect no further complications.”

He turned to leave, saying to Jean, “I’ll be on my way. Call for me if anything else comes up.”

“I’ll see you out,” Jean said, turning to follow him.

“My lord!” Belle called, stopping him.

 Jean turned. Although she was still weak, colour returned to her cheeks as she smiled relieved.

“Thank you,” she said, “for bringing my father.”

Jean bowed his head slightly, leaving the room. He smiled to himself, convinced that an injustice had been righted. His thoughts lingered on her face, one that for the first time since she arrived, held no expression of fear. His heart warmed while Jacques helped the doctor into his carriage.

“Pretty little thing,” the doctor said, Jean approaching the carriage window. “She the reason why your palace doesn’t look as much of a disaster anymore?”

“She’s been a good maid,” Jean said.

“Hmm,” the doctor looked around at the palace. “It’s not a mere maid that a home needs, but rather a woman’s loving touch. I’d say you’re looking better yourself, higher spirits.”

“It’s an effective treatment,” Jean said, “ridding all the dust.”

“Hmm,” the doctor lifted his brow before tapping the roof of his carriage. “On driver!”

Jean watched the carriage drive away into the distance. Once it disappeared from sight into the wood, Jean looked up at his palace. While it was impossible to expect Belle to be able to clean most of the outside, the little she was able to accomplish with the entrance and the windows altered much in his house. A woman’s loving touch…

“Still,” he thought, his brow furrowing, “it was a far cry from its former glory.”

Leon stayed with them for two more days until Belle was fully recovered and able to resume her duties once again. Belle embraced him tightly at the front entrance as he readied to leave.

“Despite the circumstances,” she said, “I’m glad I was able to see you again.”

“And I you, my dear,” he said, brushing a lock of stray hair from her face.

“Leon!” Jean called from the top of the stairs, descending down quickly. “It seems I’m in need of your services.”

“My services my lord?” Leon asked.

“It seems I’ve pushed Belle too much,” Jean said, “Overloaded her with too many responsibilities in this house for one single maid. I’m determined to not let this happen again. One thing I’ve realised just now, I was looking at a clock for the time.”

“Yes?” Leon asked.

“Well, that’s the thing. The clock told me the time!” Jean continued. “Most of the clocks in this place are incorrect or stopped completely, Belle only able to wind those that happen to be near where she works. But while you’ve been here, you’ve winded all my clocks and set them to the correct time no less.”

“It’s what I do, my lord,” Leon said. “I’m a clockmaker. It pains me deeply to see a clock neglected.”

“I want to hire your services,” Jean said. “Once a week, to come and wind all the clocks here, making sure they’re set on the correct time.”

Belle’s face lit up in delight as Leon’s dropped dumbstruck.

“Hire me?” Leon repeated, “To come once a week?”

“I’ll pay you of course,” Jean said.

“None needed my lord!” he laughed in delight. “Just the opportunity to see my Belle once a week is payment enough!”

“I’m not doing this for either of your sakes,” Jean responded, holding his hand out. “I’m hiring you because I need a service and it is in my best interest to hire you. You will be paid.”

Leon smiled, relenting, shaking Jean’s hand enthusiastically, “Understood my lord.”

He gave a quick, tight hug to Belle, kissing her affectionately, “See you next week my girl.”

While Leon drove off, disappearing out of sight into the wood again, Belle turned to Jean, her face beaming.

“What is it?” he asked, trying to hide his own pleasure.

“Whatever you may say about it being a service you’re enlisting, it’s still kind,” she said. “Thank you.”

Jean grimaced, “You attribute kindness too easily. And you thank me too much.”

“Perhaps,” Belle said, “But it is my genuine feeling all the same.”

“You are too naive,” Jean said.

“Well, it’s not as though it matters much if I am,” Belle smirked, turning to resume her chores, “as I am dead to the rest of the world anyway. Who is to take advantage of me? You? Who already has claim over the rest of my life?”

Jean watched Belle walk away, chuckling to himself. What absolute nerve! And yet, his heart felt happy and light. The days weren’t quite as dull and miserable as they used to be.