Chapter Five

~Ten years later~

Over the years the elders had become very happy with the decision for Lan Qiren to adopt Lan Ying. She had grown up to be the perfect disciple, her personality had grown to be very similar to Lan Huan's. over in Yunmeng, the Jiang family had heard about the deaths of both Cangse Sanren and Wei Changze and when looking for her but were ultimately unsuccessful and gave up looking for her believing that she had died with her parents.

Over the years the kids had grown closer and closer. Even though Lan Zhan had remained cold and distant to others around him he adored Lan Ying, having a caring and attentive personality towards her. He made sure that nothing bad happened to her no matter what. Lan Ying had grown into a mature young woman who is the complete opposite of her fiancé, she was kind and caring to everyone she came across (much like Lan Huan). The couple has a extremely strong bond which pleased Lan Qiren as his only wish for the kids was to make sure that they were happy.

Now that Lan Zhan and Lan Ying were 15, they were able to participate in the disciple exchange that the Lan clan holds. Although most of the time female disciples are not allowed to join in with their male counterparts, Lan Ying was a different case. Being the daughter of Lan Qiren and betrothed to Lan Zhan came with the extreme overprotectiveness that the two of them had for her. She was in all of Lan Zhan's classes so he can make sure that she is fine throughout the whole day. although when Lan Zhan is conduction the disciple punishments in the library, Lan Ying is at the back mountains with their bunnies playing around or sleeping in the sun. 

~~~

The day before the lectures begun Lan Zhan and Lan Ying were sent out on a night hunt with some of the other disciples their age in the forest nearby.

~~~

Today was bad for Jiang Cheng. After not getting an inn, thanks to a certain Jin, his group's pass for Cloud Recesses also is lost somewhere making his group not able to get into Cloud Recesses.

"Just let us in!"

"Gongzi, you can't get in without the pass."

"I told you, we lost our pass somewhere in the town. It is going to be night-time soon. Are the Lan Sect that heartless to make us stay in the wilderness due to a measly lost pass?" Jiang Cheng argued back to the gatekeeper. However, the gatekeeper stood still not letting the Jiang group past.

"A-Cheng," Jiang Yanli tried to calm her younger brother to no prevail.

"What happened here?"

Jiang Cheng who was about to open his mouth to yell at the gatekeeper turns his head to the voice that appeared behind them. The crowd parted into two revealing a beautiful pair in white. One with a warm smile and the other a cold glare.

"Madam Lan! Second Young Master Lan! You're back!" exclaimed the gatekeeper and a few of the Lan disciples who were there because of the ruckus earlier. The two of them had just finished the night hunt with some of the other junior disciples.

Lan Ying and Lan Wangji both walked up to the gate of Cloud Recesses. She asked again, "What is happening here?"

"Young lady, this gongzi and his group lost their pass, but they insist on entering." Was the only response that she got.

"Lan-er-gongzi, Madam Lan, we are guest disciples from Yunmeng Jiang. Unfortunately, due to some problems, our pass is missing. We came here hoping to still be allowed to get into Cloud Recesses as we still couldn't find an inn and night was approaching." Jiang Yanli said with a polite bow.

"Can't go in. Come back tomorrow." Lan Wangji said with a flat glare. Lan Ying only smiles warmly at the Jiang's.

"You-! You heard my sister! We couldn't find any inn so there's no choice but to come here earlier! Wy can you just let us in without the pass? Jiang Cheng fumed.

"Jiang-gongzi, please calm down. It's not like that. It is the sect rules that state that any guest who does not have their pass cannot be allowed to enter. Even if we want to allow you in, we don't have the authority to do so." Lan Ying tried to calm down the furious young master in front of her. Unfortunately, the young master in front of her wouldn't calm down. She started to feel herself get a headache from all the shouting. As much as she wants to, she couldn't allow them to enter the Cloud Recesses since it was breaking the rules.

Now she just hoped that someone had already called the sect leader or even better, her father, to deal with this. Fortunately for her, someone did call her father. "What's the ruckus here?"

"Father." Lan Ying called out happily.

"Uncle." Lan Zhan said as monotone as ever.

Lan Qiren dismissed both since he was able see how ridiculously tired, they both were. "Wangji, A-Ying, you both can go back first to rest. The report can wait until tomorrow."

Lan Wangji and Lan Ying both bowed and excused themselves. Lan Wangji pulled his tired fiancée the Jingshi for an early night's rest.