Chapter Seven

Lan Qiren was the best father and uncle that people who personally knew the main Lan family had met. He was doting and caring when necessary and strict when needed. Because of this he had made sure that his adopted daughter was always with Lan Wangji, Lan Xichen, or himself to ensure her safety, and that no danger would come her way.

Lan Qiren was also a great teacher. Sure, he was strict, but it was a very well-known fact that his courses made sure that the young people that come under his teaching in Cloud Recesses became the best that they could be. Almost all the students that he teaches become great well-respected cultivators.

Lan Qiren knew that the longer that he ran the lectures the harder it will be on time with the misbehaving, spoilt and ill-mannered children of the different sect family. He knew that the main people he had to worry about was his nephews and his daughter. There was no need to worry about how they will act when going to other sects as they had been taught from a young age to be mannered and how to behave. The disciples that were going to partake in the study at cloud recesses would be there for a year. A year for Lan Qiren to make them into the perfect sect heirs and second hands.

As all of the invited sects turned up for the lectures one by one, he had gotten to see how difficult each group would be to fix into the perfect heirs and disciples for the other sect leaders. The first group to show up after the Jiang's last night was the Lanling Jin sect heir and some of his disciples followed closely by the remainder of the Qinghe Nie sect as Nie Huaisang had been at Gusu for three weeks prior to the start of the lectures. Some of the smaller sects showed up just in time to join the others for the opening ceremony. The only issue was two of the main students of the Lan sect were not in their seats at the start of lunch or the start of the lecture.

Lan Huan and Lan Qiren were both worried about them not being in the class, so Lan Qiren sent Lan Huan to go look for them. The closer that Lan Huan got to the back mountain the more he worried he had already searched the rest of Cloud Recesses for the two fifteen-year-olds and had not luck. When he got to the clearing, he could see the two of them playing with the bunnies. After a minute or so Lan Zhan grabbed one of the bunnies that were sitting close to him and put it on Lan Ying's lap making her giggle lightly. She then grabbed her pearl white flute, Chenqing, and started to play a melody on it. Lan Huan walked over and sat next to his younger brother, not making a noise in hopes to not distract Lan Ying. Once she had finished the piece the three started chatting about the day and how the night hunt from the day prior went.