Chapter 6. Rebuilding

Little Cato helped Gary to his feet, and walked with him to the couch in the living room. He sat Gary down, and went upstairs, going back and forth between his, and Avocato's room. Gary listened to the sounds of Little Cato running around, grabbing things left and right, until he came back downstairs with a pile of random things in his hands.

"We can build you a robot arm Gary! Dad and I built a robot together a long time ago, but it never really worked. I still have most of the arm and some pieces of metal here, we can build this together." He smiled and set everything he had on thr floor.

Gary smiled and nodded. "Heck yeah, I'm not a huge fan of having just one arm, so this idea is actually really good. I'll do what I can to help, but you'll have to show me the ropes." He grabbed a screwdriver from the floor, showing he was ready.

Avocato rushed home as quickly as he could. He had a black sheet over him now, like he was hiding. He made sure he wasn't being followed or stalked every moment, and once he made it back, he wasted no time to get inside. However, he was shocked to see Gary sitting on the couch, and Little Cato welding a piece of metal to Gary's half complete arm. "What is going on now?"

Little Cato and Gary paused in unison, turning to Avocato. "Oh, hey dad! Gary woke up a while ago, and we're building him a replacement."

Gary waved with his free hand, and smiled. "Thanks by the way. I appreciate what you did. But where did you go anyways?"

Avocato was growing more and more confused. "Okay. I disposed of your arm. Thats about it. It took a while since having human body parts is pretty sketchy around here. I found a place to get rid of it and came back as fast as I could." He pulled off his cloak and hung it on a coat hook. "And you're thanking me, why?"

"For saving my life. Duh?" Gary thought it was obvious to Avocato already. "Like you said, I'd be dead today. But I'm not."

"Yeah, I uh, guess you're right." Avocato walked over and watched Little Cato work. He was impressed, seeing his son do well on his own. "I see you remember what I taught you? And learned some new things."

Little Cato gave a hum in response, focusing closely on soldering wires together in the palm. "Almost done too." He grinned, and covered the opening with a small plate, welding it shut. "We can smooth the plating out later. Go ahead and try it."

Gary looked at the robot arm, and the fingers wiggled slowly. He chuckled and continued to wiggle them. "Wow, you actually did it. Great job!" He raised the arm slowly, and high fived little cato.

Avocato crossed his arms and nodded. "And you didn't need any help. You've grown a lot son. I'm proud of you." He ran his fingers through Little Cato's mohawk and sat down on the opposite side of Gary.

The weight change next to Gary startled him, Avocato seemed a lot heavier than he looked. And he was still kind of scared of Avocato. "So, should I head back to the Operating Room?" He started getting ready to get up, but Little Cato put a hand on his shoulder. "Not yet, we aren't done."

Avocato assumed he meant the arm, but he looked Little Cato in the eyes, and realized that the little flash of seriousness meant something else. He sighed and nodded. "Yeah, we aren't done. I have something I need to say."

Gary raised an eyebrow and turned his focus to Avocato. "Uhh, okay. Go ahead whenever you want?"

"I planned on it. I mean- well. Yeah." He cleared throat and and looked Gary in the eyes now. "I just wanted to say, I'm sorry. I see how thankful you are for what we've done for you, but in truth, it was all Little Cato. I haven't treated you with respect, nearly at all, when you deserve it more than anybody. I guess."

Little Cato wasnt surprised that Avocato would struggle, but he understood. He kept quiet, and listened, really hoping now that he meant what he said.

"It's been wrong of me to continue to treat you the way I have while seeing how you really are. You are a special human Gary. Out of the many I've seen, killed, and watched, you are probably the nicest one."

Gary laughed and shrugged it off. "It really is okay man. I get it. You've seen a lot of angry, nasty humans looking for a way out. It's easy to assume that I'm just like them. I am looking for a way out, but I'm not going to hurt you guys, especially after what you've given me."

Little Cato's smile returned, and he continued working. His plan was working really well now. Changing Avocato's mind wasn't the hardest in the world. But changing the world, would be. "Hey, its almost dinner time. What should we have?"

Gary's face lit up with excitement, realizing he may have a chance to have actual food. "Hey, could I suggest something? What if we get some Street Meat?"

"I, well..." Avocato thought for a second, and let Little Cato decide. It was a yes, so Avocato decided he'd concur. "Street meat it is then. And yes, you get a plate, and an actual amount or fresh food."

Gary cheered, and fist pumped the air. "Yes! It's been so long since this man, has had a full meal!" He looked over to Little Cato when he heard ticking, watching him tighten a bolt on his shoulder.

"There you go Gary. Good as new, I guess." He set down his screwdriver and admired his work. "When you're ready, let me know when you want me to turn the neural connectors on, so you can feel things in that arm again. Though, that might hurt. A lot."

"Uhh, yeah, I think im good. For now. Thanks for the offer." Gary moved his new arm around, wiggling the fingers, and poking the sofa cushions. "This is great, its almost like my real one!"

Avocato felt a bit awkward. A mix of guilt for what he did, pride for Little Cato's work, and some lingering discomfort with gary, it was confusing. It almost hurt his head, but he decided to swallow it down and move forward. "Well, it's about close to dinner. I'll run to the market and get some meat."

"Thanks dad!" Little cato smiled, and picked up his scrap material. "I'm gonna stay and waterproof Gary's arm. We still have the hydrophobium right?"

"Yeah, check my supply box in my room. There should be some paste in there. And Gary, I'm uh, I really am sorry about all this."

"It's no problem dude, Little Cato solved it, and You did me a favor anyways." He looked to the stairs, watching Little Cato leave the room. "You should be proud, you have a great kid."

Avocato smiled, and went for the door. "Thanks Gary. You really are something else." He left the house, and quickly went off to get the meat. However, Gary was quick to wonder why he had left his cloak hanging by the door.