11: Katie

All through algebra, Abby and I exchange glances and small snippets of whispers. At one point, she reminds me of the Spring Dance, and I tell her to trust me, that I've definitely been thinking about it.

When the bell rings, it's like I've been shot out of a cannon - I want to walk to biology with Nick, since we have it next. Abby calls to me, "I'll see you later!" since I'm so far ahead of her when she leaves the room.

I turn a corner, deciding to take a shorter and less-used route to Nick's religion class, and instantly, I'm pushed to the floor. I try to recover but I'm pulled back up and a steely hand is placed over my mouth. "Hello," a deep voice whispers into my ear.

Arthur. I'm instantly shaking within his grip; I knew he would do something. I just knew it.

Instead of beating me up in the narrow hallway, he walks me to another one and pushes his way into a bathroom. He stands in the entrance, waiting.

Waiting - for something, or someone? I obviously know the answer.

Only a few minutes later, Nick dashes past the bathroom area. Without thinking, I let out a whimper, and he turns, frightened.

"Come on, Calvert," Arthur says, walking backwards into the restroom.

"Close the entrance behind you," Arthur orders. Nick complies, quickly shutting the door. "Good..."

"What do you want, Arthur?" Nick asks quietly, as if he's afraid of someone overhearing. "We have to get to class-"

"Aw, class? You're suddenly so caught up in education, aren't you?" Arthur interrupts, sounding annoyed. "I want my old Nick back."

"You're not getting him back," Nick responds immediately. I hear traces of hate, thick and heavy in his deep voice. "The old Nick was a jerk, just like you."

Above me, Arthur chuckles, making me squirm a little. He disgusts me. I just want to get away, just run...

"What's the matter, fresh-meat," he taunts, putting his mouth right by my ear. "Are you waiting for your superhero to come and save you?"

I shut my eyes, letting tears fall.

It's then that he snaps.

Arthur is suddenly ripped away from me, and I fall to the ground at the force of Nick's grasp. I turn to watch as Nick pushes him against the wall, and I hear him groan. Nick must be super strong.

"This is for humiliating Katie," he says while digging Arthur's nose into the wall. "And this is for thinking you could overpower me." I stifle a laugh as he kicks Arthur in the groin.

Holding his nuts, Arthur slides down the wall. Nick turns to me, and by now, I'm standing again. He advances towards me until we're only inches apart... and he wipes the tears from my face.

I smile, shaking, and hug him tightly. He hugs me back, and I feel his warmth spread through me like a fire.

It's not until the second class bell rings that he lets go and takes my hand. "We're late to biology," he says.

My smile fades, and I hold up my bruised wrist for him to see. "Take me to the nurse," I say, watching the color drain from his face. "Drop me off, and then report to the biology teacher..."

"And then come back," he finishes for me. I look up at him and smile. Is he serious?

"And then come back," I repeat, my smile growing wider.

He takes my hand - the one that isn't bruised - and walk out of the restroom.

That was the last straw, Arthur. You do something that brave again, and I don't know what Nick'll do.