24

Y/N's POV:

"Mom, I'm fine, I promise." 

The woman on the other end of the phone sounded borderline frantic. "I get a report from my local commission saying that the Japan branch was attacked by one of the country's most wanted villains, and then I learn that my daughter was there when it happened. Then, I'm told that someone died, all while I'm trying to get in touch with you and not getting any answers! Do you really expect me not to freak out?! Why did it take you so long to call me?!" 

You'd expected a reaction like this. The moment you'd opened your phone there'd been over thirty missed calls and about fifty texts. Just before you could call her back, she'd threatened to get on the next plane and find you herself. "I was dealing with the aftermath of everything," you said. "Hawks had my phone with him and, as the Number Two hero does, he got busy. He was out all night trying to find the culprit and he just now stopped by to give my phone back." 

The lies slipped through your teeth with ease. You'd had plenty of experience in making up stories to keep your mother from worrying about you. There'd only been one instance in which you'd been unsuccessful, thanks to the male asshole who'd given you half of your genetics. 

"You could have used a payphone," she huffed, but a small bit of anger dissipated from her tone. "I also would have liked to have known that the Number Two hero took you as his date to a formal commission event."

That was a lid that you'd prayed would remain shut. You hadn't said anything about Hawks to your mother, not wanting to give her any ideas. She was the kind of person who would think too much about things. "We're just friends," you told her. "Acquaintances, really. He just needed someone to go with him for appearance's sake."

"So you were what... a decorative piece to drape over his arm? You voluntarily let him use you to better his image? You should see what people are saying about it. 'Oh, Hawks is so kind for taking someone like her to a fancy event like this.' They're acting like he was doing charity work," she scoffed. 

You hadn't had time to see if people said anything about your appearance at the party, and even if you had, you probably wouldn't have looked into it. "I don't care about that. Honestly, half of them are just jealous." You placed your phone on your dresser and put the call on speaker so you could change out of the clothes you'd been put in. There wasn't much point in trying to explain yourself. Ever since your father had left, your mother had been dead set against you getting cozy with a hero of any ranking.

"Maybe, but it gives you a bad image. If you're going to be in the public eye, it shouldn't be because of your date. It should be because of something that you accomplished on your own."

You slipped one of your favorite shirts over your head. "Yes, I know. But listen, I was just trying to have a nice night out. I didn't think about the paparazzi or the assholes that feel the need to post their lousy opinions online twenty-four seven." You made an amused chuckle. "But I guess even if they weren't around it wouldn't have been a nice night."

Your mother sighed. "Are you sure that you're ok? Something like that can be really scary even if you weren't involved. The one who attacked was a member of the League of Villains, right?"

In the cluster of things you were feeling toward him, a twinge of guilt still lingered from when you'd learned about Dabi taking the fall for everything. He may have killed Zankoku, but he wouldn't have had to if you'd been strong enough to fend him off on your own. "Yeah, but again, I'm fine."

"Alright," she said. "I have to go in a minute, but before I go I wanted to tell you that I'll be visiting you the weekend after next. I've already taken the time off and booked my tickets."