Chapter 13: Retrieved

Blazing bullets shoot from the vehicle as it continues to drive through the Right Arm, eventually hitting a WICKED helicopter and sending pieces of the aircraft into the scared crowd of people.

I can't see who emerges from the vehicle as Newt grabs my hand once again and pulls me with him, away from the chaos that is emitting from Thomas. But sure enough, Thomas yells from behind us, "GET DOWN!" I quickly look to see him throw the bomb at a group of WICKED guards, and I impulsively launch myself onto the ground with Newt following.

The explosion causes a small storm of dust, dirt, and any other materials to fall onto my body and slightly into my eyes. Standing back up and blinking most of the debris out, I scan the cloud of smoke for any sign of Thomas. Knowing him, he's probably alive.

The smoke begins to clear and Thomas soon emerges from the ground, although I expected it, I'm relieved. "I don't know how he does it." Newt comments from beside me, and even though we're in a war against WICKED, I chuckle.

However, my small piece of enjoyment is soon destroyed when Janson appears behind Thomas. Knocking him to the ground and pinning him with his boot, Janson pulls out a handgun and cocks it, aiming directly for Thomas' face. "NO!" Newt and I yell together as we run towards the terrifying scene, me moving slightly faster but not caring in the slightest to slow down.

Only a couple feet away, scared out of my mind. A gunshot rings in the distance and Janson goes down, grabbing his shoulder with a pained face. Thomas is already looking behind us when I reach him, helping him to his feet again as I lay eyes on a girl in the distance. Using apart of the mountain as her balance, Brenda cocks her sniper once more and smiles down at us.

"I thought she was infected!" I say to Thomas, and all he says back is, "I don't know..." The three of us reach our stability again and begin running towards Vince, who was back at his machine gun placed in the bed of an old truck. But I only move a few feet until I'm sent to the ground by an excruciating agony from my ankle, screaming out as I realize I can't walk.

Looking down at the source of my pain, I discover that my ankle wasn't just sprained anymore, but instead it held a clear gunshot wound with blood trailing down my socks, shoes, and onto the ground.

"Y/N!" Newt yells as he runs back to me, but it seems to be too late as a sudden, painful shock runs throughout my entire body. Beginning to feel numb from the copious amount of pain, I didn't move and I didn't speak. Everyone's body has a limit to prevent them from overexerting themselves, and I believe I passed that limit the minute I hit the ground.

"Back up, twerp." I hear Janson say, "You move another inch and her head gets blown off." Physically, I don't have the ability to save myself, so I felt ultimately terrified when something was placed onto the back of my head and the familiar sound of it cocking overflowed my ears.

"Newt!" I hear Thomas yell, but no response was said. I'm assuming Newt still stood there, similar to Thomas just ten minutes ago, contemplating what to do. The sound of running footsteps get louder until they stop a small distance away. "Don't even try anything, Thomas." Janson's sly voice warns, "We need her."

Confusion meets with fear at Janson's words. I didn't want to work for WICKED. What would I even do now? What would they do to me?

A small dust of dirt flies in front of me, one of them moved. Only moving my eyes, I see the outline of a guard throwing another, smaller bomb at the two boys. I knew they ran away at the sudden attack and I feel my limp body be picked up by someone, Janson then appears in front of me with his bloody shoulder.

"Get her to the berg. Hurry!" Janson orders to the guard holding me. But I felt so careless as little bits of consciousness remain in my pained body as we venture through the Right Arm, watching as it all burns to the blood-soaked ground.

My eyes grow heavy when the sounds of WICKED's aircraft becomes clearer and clearer, it's becoming too much, all of it. One sense can only work at one time, and even then it's still weak. At least I knew where I was, entering WICKED's grasp.

The glow from the inside of the aircraft illuminates the outside world around it, my remaining vision catches the faces of imprisoned strangers as we pass by. Except some of them weren't strangers, and it honestly hurts me more emotionally than physically to see them here.

Aris, Sonya, and Minho.

My remaining vision blurs the deeper I go into the bright aircraft, preventing me from seeing my friends anymore. Soon, little black dots make their way into the air and grow bigger and bigger until I can hardly see. All that's left is my hearing, and I'm afraid that I'm officially lost when the last thing I hear is this.

"Subject A3, retrieved." Ava Paige affirms.