The Deer Woman

George and the mysterious Mahwah left the tent at first light and she lead him back to his camp. He continued to ask her questions upon questions and she did her best to answer, though sometimes she just gave him a cheeky smile instead and walked on. They and talked for what seemed like forever, and it was not just about the Wendigo but her own life and culture as well. He felt comfortable around her and she too felt something that she never felt before when being around and talking to him. She asked about his own people and culture as well, why he came to this place and after telling her, he asked her why she choose to life alone in the forest. But she gave an inconclusive answer.

"I did it partly on my own will but... I just couldn't return home." she said sadly.

"Forgive me, I did not want to upset you." He quickly said, seeing that the thought about it hurt her. "It is just sad. All alone out here."

"Oh I am never alone. Sometimes I meet hunters and gatherers in the woods. And there are the animals of course." she smiled.

"Hm." he simply said. It was strange that she was talking to animals, but then again, he wasn't in her situation. "I guess it's easy. Animals don't talk back."

All she did was respond with a mysterious giggle.

Once the camp came into view, she stopped. "This is where I have to leave you."

"You seem scared of other people." George said, holding her hand. "But I don't blame you. Seeing lots of strange soldiers from a the other side of the world."

"Not just that, I.... It does not matter." she smiled. "Go home and remember what I told you about the Wendigo."

George was about to leave when he turned around one last time. "Will I ever see you again?"

She gave him her most beautiful smile yet. "Of course. I wanna see you too, after all."

To say his comrades were shocked to see him alive was an understatement. Everyone patted his shoulder and expressed their relief, others asked about "The Beast" as they started to call it. The Lieutenant called him into his tent and order him to give a report. George spoke the truth and, although he could feel that his officer did not believe him, he nodded and dismissed him. "Thank you for the information about the Wendigo. I still believe this isn't a real thing but whatever is out there ripped two of our own to pieces. Three if we count the one trampled to death." He sighed. "The news made everyone in the camp on edge. It is a powder keg ready to explode and last thing we need right now is a fight with our own allies. The soldiers think one of them is responsible." The Officer war clearly frustrated. He knew that this mission they were tasked to do was already difficult on its own and now a mythical being was stalking the woods at night?

George only nodded before he stood up from his chair. "Can I speak to the Chief of the village? I think he needs to hear about my encounter."

The Lieutenant nodded. "I'll inform the Colonel. We have to discuss strategy."

The Chief waved the young Redcoat into his tent. He had already awaited his arrival. "The spirits told me about your survival." he said.

George had to think back about to the moment he lost consciousness and saw the bright light. Perhaps it was Mahwahs torch but he wasn't sure. "I am not sure if it was the spirits. I was saved by a young woman living in the woods." He told him about the Wendigo attack and the woman that saved him.

The old native seemed surprised, although it was barely visible as his facial expression did not change much. "So you met her. The woman of the forest. The healer, savior and death. She is all that and more.... the Deer Woman."

George blinked a few times. "The... Deer Woman? She did not look like a Deer at all."

"She can change her form from human to Deer. She can talk to the animals of the forest so she knows everything that happens in this region. If a man is dishonest and mistreats his family in any way, he will suffer the wrath of the Deer Woman. She will trample you to death with her hooves. But if you are a good man, she will protect you and help you in time of need."

The young soldier shook his head. Surely this couldn't be the nice woman that healed him. "I guess it is ironic, being trampled to death because you trampled over others. But it seems like another story to me. Trust me, in my country there are rumors about Hermits too."

The Chief shook her head. "This woman has been living out there for many generations. She has been seen by people of my village and the surrounding ones. The description is always the same. This woman is just as real as the Wendigo."

George felt the air in the tent, already very warm, become almost unbearable. The woman he had grown attached to was a spirit? The thought alone shocked him but he had to accept it: He felt something for the woman. But now, what was he to do? What COULD he do? She was an immortal being and he.... someone she could easily trample to death, literally. "Where... where did she come from. If the Wendigo came from eating human flesh, was made her the Deer Woman."

The old man was silent for moment but even he had to admit he didn't know. He threw a powder into the fire and optical illusions began dancing in the flames. George did not let the fire out of his sight, this was new to him and he felt drawn to whatever happened. right now. "No one is certain. The stories that have been passed down changed slightly from generation to generation. It begins with the story of a woman so beautiful that every warrior wanted her, but she rejected them all. Some say she fled to escape this life, another claims that she was murdered by a jealous man that wanted her. She either gave choose to become the Deer Woman willingly or the Spirits of the forest had mercy on her and gave her a new chance in life."

The Chief told him everything he knew and George listened closely. "So sometimes, then there is a celebration, the woman hides herself in the crowd?"

"It is the only way to spent some time around a large group of happy people. Of the people she had to leave, as she cannot stay here for long. That's how the story goes."

"When is the next celebration?" George asked curiously.

"Tomorrow night. My son is marrying his soul mate and your warriors and chiefs are welcome to join."

"They wanted to celebrate in the winter?"

"It was their choice."

George nodded and thanked the old man for listening before he left. He was called up to report to both the Colonel and Lieutenant, probably for another debriefing. But in his mind he was already at the wedding tomorrow.

If the woman from the woods would show up, he was gonna confront her and ask if she really was this Deer Woman.