Basic Terms

1. System. Commonly used as another term for somebody with DID or OSDD1a/b. Refers to all of the alters within one body.

2. Fronting. An alter being completely present and in control of the body. The front can also be split up between multiple alters if necessary, which is referred to as co-fronting.

3. Switching. An alter taking control of the body. Can be forced, consensual, or triggered by an outside source. Often causes dissociation and external symptoms, such as headache or muscle spasms.

4. Co-conscious. When an alter is aware of outside events at the time of them happening, but is not actively fronting. May or may not be giving passive influence to the fronters.

5. Black-out. Complete unawareness of the events that have occured while another alter was fronting. Often accompanied by extreme time loss.

6. Gray-out: Partial amnesia of the events that have occured while another alter was fronting. Usually results in knowing the basic timeline of events, but not the details or emotional aspects of what has happened.

7. Inner world: Also commonly referred to as internal worlds or headspaces. A place that alters retreat to when not fronting, and when there they are often able to see themselves and other alters as separate individuals. Inner worlds vary wildly between systems, and are formed based on the needs of each individual system. As such, not all systems have innerworlds as not all systems need them.

8. Dissociation. A break in how the mind processes and handles information.
Can cause a disconnect from one's surroundings, thoughts, or feelings. Often will impact your sense of identity and time.

9. Depersonalization. A type of dissociation. Commonly shown as feeling unreal or detached from one's own body or self.

10. Derealization. A type of dissociation. Commonly shown as feeling unreal or detached from one's surroundings.

11. Co-fronting. When two or more alters are in control of the body at the same time.

12. The body. The physical body that the system inhabits. (Note: this term makes some alters uncomfortable. If you are uncomfortable with it as well, let us know right away)

13. Headmate. A non-clinical term for someone in a system.

14. Dormancy. Refers to when an alter lies dormant. A dormant alter may not be able to be seen in the headspace, and may not be able to communicate with other alters in any way, and will not front.

15. Autopilot. Refers to when a system is typically dissociated to the point where it feels like "nobody" is fronting. In this case, the body may go into 'autopilot' and continue functioning, though usually with limited communication.

https://dissociation-station.carrd.co

^Really good information. If you want to understand better this is a good resource. Be sure to click the arrows so you can read allllllll the information.

But I have to add this quote from here so...there you go:

"When interacting with fronting alters, it's important to know that they're not an extension of the host; also, while this is a given, they have their own feelings and thought processes and sometimes they'll even have triggers— please respect all these factors. also note that not all alters are keen on interaction. please don't take it personally if an alter doesn't talk to you or isn't super friendly. sometimes alters will imitate the host, so you might be unaware that they're fronting unless they let you know directly. keep in mind that an alter being triggered to come to front isn't always negative, nor is it always for prolonged periods of time! someone mentioning an alter's interest can cause them to front, as well as other mundane occurrences like their favorite meal being cooked. other times, alters front when the host is in danger or distress. switches range from slow to rapid, they can last as long as a few minutes to hours."

*chefs kiss* thank you