Chapter 3

"Pierce!" I flinched from the high pitch of my mum's voice. "Why aren't you ready?"

Turning, I took my mother's appearance in noting her chosen outfit for the night. She was wearing a simple black boho styled dress that flowed around her making it look as though she was floating. She had slicked back her white hair and under the lights of the clearing, her blue eyes seemed to glow. Although right now a storm was brewing, and it was aimed directly at me.

My eyes roamed over my blue jeans and white shirt. Looking back at my mum I shrugged. "I'm gonna change after I finish setting up."

"No." She grabbed my arm in a vice grip and began dragging me across the clearing. "You need to change now. The others will make sure the place is ready."

"Okay. Okay," I dragged my arm out from her iron grip. She turned on me and despite my towering form, I took a step back.

Glancing around she lowered her voice so only I could hear her and said, "You will also be on your best behaviour tonight because so help me, Pierce Joanna Parsons, if you start something up with the Belmont pack after all we've done and achieved, we'll be honouring you in the next blue moon ceremony. Understood?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. She'd been panicky all week. Control yourself, Pierce. This is an important day, Pierce. Do not mess this meeting up, Pierce. Honestly, you would think I was planning a mass bombing with how she had been acting. "I understand, mother."

Once I reached the house – escorted by my mother no less, I reluctantly made my way to my room. Slamming the door shut the walls shook and by extension Nero's large silver cage. He flapped his wings aggressively at me, squawking his displeasure.

"Sorry, Nero." Unclipping the latch, Nero wasted no time bursting through the cage to fly around the large expanse of my room. Satisfied with his slight freedom he perched himself on my vanity. Making no indication that he's cared he was close to tipping over all my items.

Lying on top of my navy blanket was two dresses, both similar in style but different in colour. One was a deep purple with an almost burgundy colour while the other was simple black. On most days I wear black so going purple would be a nice change. But you know what they say about comfort.

I pulled the black dress over my head and the back ending just below my shoulder blades showing off part of my raven tattoo that stretched across my back. I gave myself a once over in the mirror. The dress was simple and plain, curving around my breasts. It cinched at my waist before flowing past my knees.

"What makeup look should I do?" I asked Nero, but he just ignored me. "Simple it is."

Foregoing a full face of foundation, I spot concealed, adding a bit of bronzer around my already tanned face and applying the smallest amount of blush to the high points of my cheek. Not satisfied with just mascara and brown liner I took a deep brown and slightly smoked out the eyeliner adding more depth to my brown eyes. To finish the look, I slipped on black flats and brushed through my hair. The layers from the wolf cut I had gotten earlier this week framed my face.

As I stared into the mirror my irises seemed to change colour shifting from a light brown to a dark almost black colour. But when I moved closer to the mirror the colour in my eyes seemed to bleed into the whites turning them completely black.

Gasping, I moved back but a skeletal hand reached out of the mirror and wrapped itself around my face pulling me into the mirror. Darkness wrapped around me as I fell seemingly without end. Until I was grabbed mid-air. The sudden change in speed sent shockwaves of pain shooting through my shoulder and for a horrible second, I thought my arm was about to be ripped off.

But I almost wished it did as a rotting face peaked out of the darkness. I screamed and thrashed against it, breaking its grip and falling only to be grabbed once more. I continued to scream as more hands wrapped around me, pulling me under the darkness.

Their bony bodies crawled over me, grabbing each limb and stretching my skin. Their broken voices rattled around my skull. "Join us. Join us. Join us," they repeated until their voices drowned out my own.

They tugged. They bit and there was nothing I could do but suffer as they tore flesh from bone. As they slowly morphed me until I looked just like them.

I shouted in pain falling to my hardwood floors with a thud. Frantically, I looked around seeking any glimpses of the creatures, but I was met with my empty room. I clutched my chest and silently rocked back and forth whispering to myself that it was okay. I was safe. I was in my room, and I was safe. Yet, I couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't.

I wiped the tears that began to fall but winced when my fingers grazed my cheek. Pulling my fingers back I noted the blood. That's when my ears cleared, and I heard Nero squawking madly. Grabbing my phone from my bed I flipped the camera on and saw three surface-level scratches across my cheek. Thankfully they were already healing.

Harsh banging on my door had my heart leaping in my throat, but it was Addie's voice that called out. "Pierce! Come on! We're going to be late, and you know mum and dad will flip. Get out!"

Taking a couple of deep breaths, I calmed my nerves. Running my fingers through Nero's soft black feathers I reminded myself that it was a dream. It had to be.

"Thank you." I gave Nero a peck on the head, grabbed my bag and rushed out of my room.

Waiting for me at the front door was Addie dressed in the blue dress I had suggested she wear for her future husband. Despite the blood rushing in my ears, I couldn't help the grin that spread across my face. One that grew exponentially as I noted how much care she took in her makeup considering she hated wearing it.

"Shut up," she muttered, a pink flush coating her cheeks and I couldn't hold the laugh in as we walked out of the house. The horrible dream already beginning to fade into my subconscious.