i. vengeance & mercy don't live side by side

IDENTITY CRISIS
i. VENGEANCE & MERCY
DON'T LIVE SIDE BY SIDE
❝WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN
TO GOOD PEOPLE?❞

THE LIFE SHE LIVED WASN'T ONE SHE WOULD HAVE CHOSEN FOR HERSELF ━━ a life of carnage, death, and loneliness was all she knew

THE LIFE SHE LIVED WASN'T ONE SHE WOULD HAVE CHOSEN FOR HERSELF ━━ a life of carnage, death, and loneliness was all she knew. Erina Sato was left with glimpses of the life she used to lead. She was met with blurred faces and tainted memories when she tried to remember her past. Though, it was not as if it truly mattered anymore. After the mess her life had turned into, there was no doubt her remaining blood would want anything to do with her. No one wanted to sit next to a murderer at dinner and that was only a fraction of the crimes she had committed over the years. Still, she worked endlessly to protect the phantoms of her life.

It was a cold night in Gotham City. Her cheeks had turned a shade of red and the tips of her fingers had begun to numb underneath her gloves. She had lost feeling in her toes about thirty minutes ago, but she had not moved from her spot on the rooftop of an unfinished apartment building. Erina took a steady breath, aiming the rifle at her target in the distance. A tiny speck on her radar, but she knew it was him. Four men dressed in black surrounded him, bodyguards meant to protect him. After exactly eight months, Leopold Arnoult had come out of hiding to attend his brother's engagement party. It was a mistake that secured his spot six feet underground. He had angered the wrong people and they, unfortunately, held a grudge.

"Do you see the target?"

The deep voice echoed in her left ear through the small device that had been implanted into her skin when she was much younger. She held her breath, keeping her aim steady as she watched the target in the hairlines of her rifle. The rifle had been a gift from her employer, Carmine Falcone. After all, he was her "boss" for all intents and purposes. Though, he never had any qualms about passing her around to his friends if they had a job. But, she rarely dealt with the men in charge and was forced to keep communication through their lackeys. Even the voice on the other side, he was a pawn in Falcone's game.

"Repeat, do you see the target?"

"Yes."

"Take the shot, Sato."

Erina pulled the trigger, hearing the silent click of the weapon as the bullet went flying through the air. She felt the recoil against her shoulder, but it was an ache she was familiar with. The sound of screams in the distance was enough for her as she dismantled the rifle within moments. Erina placed the parts within their respective slots in her briefcase, preparing to leave but something in the sky caught her eye. For a moment that seemed to last forever, she felt her breath hitch as her eyes darted to the shadows.

She waited.

It felt as if she had eyes on her, causing her to slowly stand. Her eyes never left the shadows. The dread began to burn within her chest, waiting for something to step into the light. Something or someone waiting to bring her to justice, knowing it was what she deserved.