The Inn

I removed my heavy and withered backpack and placed the heavy item into the back of the truck and slid it over into the shade. I suddenly cringed at the thought about how hot it is out here and how my stuff wouldn't do too well after a couple hours.

"Shit, I hope my stuff won't go off," I mumbled in annoyance. The two of them then proceeded to come over and throw their shit in the back next to mine after I moved out of their way.

"So then...what's the plan?" I asked them as I awkwardly tried to busy my arms as they loosely sat by my side.

"Well, we've been on the road for weeks, we kind of just want to find some where to camp out for a bit," Aaron explained to me. In response I turned around and showed them the bed and breakfast that was clear in sight. They both instantly cringed at the building in hostility.

"We need to look in there," I told them as I nodded towards the bed and breakfast. They both turned and looked at the building that screamed bad news, but good things.

"Uhh... I guess?" Mark agreed hesitantly.

"Come on Mark, if there's alcohol inside that means we can have a great evening." I told him enthusiastically as I skipped towards the building. I kinda miss alcohol too, I miss my low key nights with friends and enjoy a drink, but not getting wasted. I was always the person to appreciate than to just take. They didn't budge even though, I already started making my way over, and once I realized they hadn't moved I had stopped and looked straight at them disapproving look.

"Come on! There's no better way to get to know a person than to see them drunk." I pressed onto them.

They both shrugged off the bad thoughts progressively once they found themselves not finding an excuse anymore. Mark went to the back seats of the trunk and pulled out a plank of wood with large nails sticking out of it and then after a baseball bat. He then handed the large plank of wood to arm Aaron. I grabbed my rifle from my bag and slipped it into my back pocket and kept my crowbar handy. Once ready, we all together headed towards the building. The sun was hot as hell and my body begged to be back inside the building already, and I know there will be a cool basement underneath this inn; it looks old enough to have one at least. I dragged my crowbar in my hand heavily by my side as I got close to the building. I stopped by the bolted shut door and listened inside, I heard nothing for the mean time, so I just started pulling off the wood planks with the crow bar. With the last plank left, I looked back at them both. Mark seemed pretty ready, but Aaron not as much.

"You got this Aaron," I motivated him as I pulled off the plank. I kicked the door open and instantly out came a zombie, stumbling with high speed. This one was massive in height, and directly came after me. I jumped back while running sideways to get away. I threw the crow bar into his head, but it didn't seem to give all the much damage. I took off in a faster sprint while grabbing the gun from my back pocket. This zombie seemed to have higher speed than most so it didn't have too hard of a time keeping up with me. The zombie made me anxious and I found it even harder to grab my gun. I whipped around once I grabbed hold and shot him straight in the head. His body flew forward to the ground with a large skid. I then shot him again to make sure before coming close. I rested for a moment once it was quiet, with my knees weakening when I decided it was dead.

"Holy shit," I mumbled in shocked exhaustion. My adrenaline was making me shake with tremor at how big that zombie was. The zombie groaned out again and a high pitched scream slipped past my lips in surprise as I shot him again with my quick reflexes. I finally collapsed to the ground in a chest throb from the shock. Mark and Aaron ran towards me instantly to make sure I was okay.

"You alright?" Mark asked me in worry as they both got down on their knees for me. I laid down out of breath for moment while lifting my finger up to them so I could calm myself for a minute.