Well being

I shook awake to see it was dark out. I gasped after opening my eyes, from a horrible dream that I couldn't remember the second I awoke. All I remember is my body being anxious and the horrible gut feeling that built in me. My body is aching terribly. I could feel my ankle throbbing horribly along with my wrist, I suddenly wish I hadn't taken my injuries so lightly.

"You're safe." Jack reassured me with a soothing voice after my shaking awake. I stopped in my panic and instantly relaxed in his lap. His hand was on my heart was his other hand scratched his fingers in my hair. The feeling was sweet and left me wanting to purr like a cat. I felt safe in his arms.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah...fine." I replied unsurely, feeling weird after my nap, some nap it was... It's dark out now.

"You were out for quite a few hours." Jack told me.

"I'll leave you two." Marina quietly told us before walking over to her hut and closing the door behind her.

"How are you feeling?" He asked with a worried tone.

"My body hurts like mother fucker." I muttered bitter.

"You didn't really want to sit when you were high." Jack told me, snorting softly in laughter, although the smile quickly faded.

"Yeah..." I replied awkwardly while agreeing with him. It fell awkwardly quiet. The only thing I could hear was the fire right in front of us that was burning away. If it werent for the warming flames, I'd be shivering with the mid fall weather now kicking in.

"Arie... Why didn't you tell me the truth?" Jack questioned me, with hurt in his voice. I wanted to pretend that I didn't know what he was talking about, but we both know that I understood exactly what he meant.

"I didn't tell anyone the truth." I replied to him like it wasn't something to be bothered by.

"Why didn't you?" Jack asked me again, this time more angrily.

"Because sometimes it seems you get more hurt by this bullshit than me! I don't want to deal with it anymore. I can't stop him at this point. If he gets his hands on me I just have to expect the worst." I explained to him as I started to get frustrated too.

"That's not the point Arie. He's mentally abusing you. He's breaking you down, and I'm trying to put you back together."

"Be real Jack, I'm a broken piece that'll never be fixed." I bitterly snapped back at him. My eyes stuck to the fire, watching the flames, never had my eyes once tore away from them.

"You can't lie to me right now that those two days didn't hurt you Arie. I've watched you shut down in the last couple weeks. You keep falling apart... When was the last time I even saw you smile."

"I ask myself everyday when was the last time I was happy." I added to his statement, with my hollow chest aching softly about my honest response.

"I need to find happiness Jack, and unfortunately it's going to take a lot for that to happen. It might never happen. Maybe I might die... Who knows." 

"You're doing anything but dying." Jack suddenly replied as if he would sacrifice his life for the guarantee.

"Just get me somewhere safe, and ill be happy." I told Jack, almost like it was a simple answer. In words, it was was. I know it's going to be almost impossible to get that one thing right, but if he does, I won't find myself breaking anymore. We remained in silence. It was quiet for a few minutes before any of us broke it. It was comforting though, our silenced thoughts. I didn't feel out of place when lying in his lap, not at all.