I'm sorry

Sonic and Shadow made it back to the village as the sun was setting. Everyone walked outside and they all gasped.

"Sha-Shadow. . .what did you do?" Amy asked.

Shadow looked down at his bloody gloves, "it had to be done. I had to be sure he would never hurt my family again."

Knuckles gulped, "So Eggman is-"

"Yes." Sonic answered, "Eggman is dead."

"Where is my daughter?" Shadow asked.

"She's sleeping in Sonic's room." Sticks answered, "he put her sleep before he went after you."

"What about my wife?" Shadow asked, "can someone take me to her?"

Sonic gave a sour look, "are you sure?"

"Please take me to her." He repeated.

Sonic lead Shadow to Tails' guest bedroom where you were in a coma. Shadow began tearing up.

"We thought it'd be best to keep her here so Tails could keep a close eye on her and help her as quick as he can if anything were to happen." Sonic explained.

Shadow hugged himself as tears rolled down his cheeks, "this is all my fault. If I just went with her to check on Lily then none of this would've happened."

"Shadow this was unexpected and none of us knew it was going to happen." Sonic explained, "like you said, Eggman is dead and he will never hurt them again."

Shadow took off his gloves and cupped your face, "I'm so sorry, (y/n)."

He felt you move. He looked over and saw your hand moving closer to him. He held your hand gently and looked at your face. Tears were running down your cheeks.

Shadow wiped them away, "please don't cry. You're going to be okay. Lily is home safe with us. You're safe with me."

You slightly tightened your grip on his hand. He kissed your forehead.

"I promise to protect you, my love."