The High Priestess (7)

"Groot! Get out of the way! You're gonna get hurt!" Nova yelled as she shot the beast's arms. Groot waved to her as he danced to the music.

"Hi" she said back as the monster grabbed her by the leg while she was distracted. "WOAAAH!"

As the monster's arm held Nova tight, she shot the tip of the arm off to let herself free. The beast roared in pain and tried to catch her once more but Nova got away in time. She then landed on the ground to quickly catch her breath. Gamora landed next to her as Drax said,

"The beast's hide is too thick to be pierced from the outside. I must cut through it from the inside." 

Gamora and Nova both looked at Drax as if he was crazy and said "what?!" at the same time. Drax hollered and started charging towards the beast.

"Drax, no! That doesn't make any sense! DRAX HOLD ON-!" Gamora yelled. The creature opened its mouth and Drax leaped inside it, instantly swallowed up. 

" What is he doing?!" Peter said as he took off his mask.

"He said the skin is too thick to be pierced from the outside, so he's going to cut it from the inside." Gamora said, facepalming.

 "That doesn't make sense!"              

 "I tried to tell-"

"Its skin is the same thickness from the inside as from the out!"

"I realize that!" Gamora said, annoyed.

Nova flew back up to the monster and saw a cut on its neck.

"Guys! There's a cut on its neck!" She hollered down below. "Rocket, get it to look up!"

As Rocket started shooting above it, Gamora tried to shoot the cut but her rifle was empty. She then pulled out a sword instead and started running towards it. She ran up the beast, put the sword into the cut and went down, splitting the monster's neck. The beast fell over, dead, and a thick, green slime, which seemed to be the monster's blood, oozed out of the cut. Drax then slid out of the cut with his knives and started laughing.

"Haha! I have single-handedly vanquished the beast!" He said, victoriously.

Groot threw a rock at him in annoyance.

"What?" Drax said.

As everyone took off their aero-rigs and walked away from the monster, they all looked at the batteries they were protecting.

"What are they called again?" Drax asked.

"Anulax batteries" Peter said.

"Harbulary batteries."

"That's nothing like what I just said. But they're worth thousands of units a piece. Which is why the Sovereign hired us to protect them."

 Rocket pulled out one of the batteries from its pod, checking it out. Gamora, Drax, Nova and Quill walked towards the Sovereign palace. Rocket stood back a moment, taking a couple of the batteries with him. The group walked down the walkway, where the golden sovereign citizens stand at the edge of the station, gawking. 

"Just be careful what you say around these folks. They're easily offended and the cost of transgression is death" Peter said to everyone, quietly.

"Sounds judgmental for a bunch of golden morons" Nova said.

"That's the kind of thing you might want to keep to yourself."

"I'll hold my tongue, as long as they deliver what was promised" Gamora added.

As they entered the main palace, the high priestess of the sovereign sat on her golden throne, overlooking them.

"We thank you, Guardians, for putting your life on the line. We could not risk the lives of our own Sovereign citizens" the high priestess, Aeysha, said. "Every citizen is born exactly as designed by the community, impeccable, both physically and mentally. We control the DNA of our progeny, germinating them in birthing pods."

 "I guess I prefer making people the old-fashioned way" Peter said, jokingly. Nova facepalmed.

"Well... perhaps someday you could give me a history lesson in the archaic ways of our ancestors... for academic purposes."

  "Yeah, I mean, if it's for research that could be pretty-" Peter then saw Gamora glaring at him. "—Pretty repulsive. I'm not into that kind of casual-."

  "Oh, please" Gamora cut him off. "Your people promised something in trade for our services. Bring it and we shall gladly be on our way."

 Aeysha nodded and two soldiers emerged with a woman in a hood and cloak, her wrists bound by shackles. They shoved her to her knees and yanked back her hood, revealing Nebula.

"Isn't this the girl who tried to kill us on Ronan's ship?" Nova asked.

Nebula glared at Gamora. Gamora glared at her back. Peter looked from one to the other, feeling the tension and tried to break it.

  "Family reunion. Yaaaay..."

 "I understand she is your sister?" The high priestess said.

Gamora roughly picks Nebula up, starts to go. 

"She's worth no more to me than the bounty due for her on Xandar."

 "Our soldiers apprehended her attempting to steal the batteries. Do with her as you please."

"Thank you, High Priestess Ayesha" Peter said as he started to leave.

  "What is your heritage, Mr. Quill?"                                     

Quill turned back towards her, uncomfortable with the question. 

 " My mother is from earth."

 " And your father?"

 "He's... not from Missouri, that's all I know."

" I see it within you, an unorthodox genealogy. A hybrid that seems particularly... reckless." 

"What the hell?" Nova muttered. Rocket then barged in.                                                                                      

"You know, they told me you people were conceited douchebags. But that isn't true at all!" Rocket turned to Peter and winked. 

"Rocket, you're using your left eye again" Nova said, nudging him..  

"I'm sorry. That was meant to be behind your back-"  Drax yanked Rocket away. Gamora and Peter headed out of the lair. Drax, Nova and Rocket are a few paces behind. 

 "Count yourself blessed they didn't kill you." Drax said.

 "Seriously. What else did you do? Steal their batteries?" Nova said sarcastically.

"Why? You wanna buy some?" Rocket grins and shows them something hidden in his bag - two batteries.

Drax laughed as Nova held in her laughter.

"Oh my god, they're so gonna kill you for that" she said. Rocket shushed them while laughing as well so Peter and Gamora don't hear.

"Not if they don't find out!"