Eruda (20)

It had been a while since the Ravager funeral and Yondu's death. The group went back to Berhert to get their fixed ship back, the Milano. After they got it back, the engine still had some problems...

"Uh guys? I don't think that looks good. Engine's having some problems" Nova said, looking out the window. Rocket walked over and noticed something was up.

"God damnit Quill, did you do something?" he said, turning to Peter who was driving the ship.

"Why is it when something goes wrong you blame it on me?" Peter said.

"Because it always has to do with you!" 

"Okay, okay! I'm landing on the nearest planet so you can fix that piece of junk. Gamora?"

"Nearest planet... Eruda. No life on it. Got wiped out by Ronan years ago." she said looking it up on a holographic tablet. Nova turned her head in panic.

"W- what did you say, Gamora...?" Nova said, her voice shaking a bit.

"Eruda... Oh! Oh, no. Peter, we're going to the next planet over" Gamora said, understanding.

"Why? What's so wrong with this planet?" Peter asked, still steering towards it.

"Nothing-! It- it's fine Gamora. I don't want to put you guys in the trouble of ruining your engine even more. I'll be fine" Nova said, sitting down. Mantis walked up to Nova and touched her arm.

"You feel... stressed. Panic. Anxious" she read. "Are you okay?"

"Yes... I... Eruda was the planet I lived on. Where I got tested on..." Nova said. She couldn't even finish her sentence.

"Nova, you don't have to come out of the ship while we fix the engine. We'll be quick" Rocket said, reassuring her.

"It's fine" she said, calming down a bit. "Do what you need to do."

As they landed on the dead planet, Nova saw that it looked exactly how it did when she escaped. A light purple sky, destroyed buildings... and then she saw it. The one thing she was hoping to not see. The ship the scientists escaped with her on. It was crashed, and all she could remember was murder. She took a deep and breath and came out of the ship. 

"Nova, are you sure you're fine?" Peter asked.

"Yep. Totally" she said looking around. "I lived here once, right? Might as well see how things have been." She tried to hide her panic, but it worked. She pretended that everything was fine. "Hey, um, Rocket. That ship over there was the ship I escaped on" she said pointing to it. "There were some pretty useful things in there. They might still be in there, if you want to take a look around."

"Alright, that works. Groot! Come with us" Rocket said. Groot, who was now a teenager, walked over; looking down at a game he was playing on a Gameboy. "You're gonna rot your brain out with that game, put it down"

"I am Groot" Groot said, talking back.

"Geez Groot, no need for the back talk" Nova said as her, Rocket, Groot, and Peter walked to the other ship. Gamora, Drax and Mantis stayed on the Milano. As they entered the abandoned ship through a large hole burnt through the side, Rocket got to work collecting things he could use. Nova walked around as well, remembering what happened. Then, she almost tripped over something. She looked down and noticed a camera. A security camera. She picked it up and opened it to see a memory card.

"There's no way it picked up all that footage..." she thought. She put the memory card in her pocket for later.

After everyone finished looking around, they started to walk back to the Milano with Rocket holding a mountain of items.

"What are you gonna use all of that for?" Peter asked. Rocket ignored the question and kept walking. As they got back to the Milano, Rocket took a look at the engine.

"The battery pack just died... nothing extraordinary. Peter, go get me a new one" Rocket said.

"Hey now, remember that I'm the captain here, buddy" Peter said, going to get a new battery pack. He came back and handed it to Rocket while Nova went back inside the ship. Rocket got it fixed up in no time and went back inside the Milano with Peter. Nova got up to put the memory card into the ship's monitor. 

"What is that?" Peter asked.

"Memory card" Nova responded. I found it on the ship. I have no idea what's on it." As the memory card got loaded into the monitor, footage started to play. It was Nova, with her hands tied. A man with light blue skin and pointy ears held her by her neck. There were 5 other men and women surrounding her,

"No..." Nova thought 

Peter watched the footage. The man started to say something.

"You're pathetic... weak... just a TEST SUBJECT! YOU HEAR ME?! You will be NOTHING but Subject 0739! And you'll live out the rest of your days... on another planet... being tortured." The other people around Nova laughed.

Peter stared at the footage in shock, then at Nova, who was trembling a bit but trying to keep it cool. Gamora and Mantis had now walked over to see what was happening. Nova in the footage started to respond.

"No..." she said. "NO! I AM NOT SUBJECT 0739! I'M NOVA ANDORMEDA!" 

"Oh? Bold of you to talk back" said the man. He threw a punch at her.

"And... and bold of you to punch me, BITCH!" Nova used her gauntlets to cut the ties around her wrists. She kicked the man in the stomach and knocked him to the ground. A sharp blade from her gauntlet came out and she stabbed him in the throat. "WHO'S NEXT?" she yelled. The men and women grabbed guns from their belts and aimed them towards Nova. Nova blasted two of them, dead. She then brutally murdered the other 3, leaving blood and their bodies on the ground. Nova then looked up and noticed the security camera. She threw a gun at it and the footage went dark.

Everyone looked at Nova who was now shaking in fear.

"No.. no... that's not me! I swear! I-"

"Nova... we're all underdogs here. We've all done horrible things. You did what you had to do in that footage. If you didn't kill them... you would be dead" Gamora said.

"I- I guess so..."

Then, an alert came up on the monitor. A distress call.