12

Elsie

It shouldn't hurt. But it does. Watching them all drift off to their hobbies and acting as if nothing happened. Mila was mad at me, well, it seemed like she was. It's my fault they figured out who we are. And it's my fault I am sneaking out of our apartment to go see him.

At Dawn's he said. My favorite restaurant. Does he know that? No, he doesn't. Not everything is about me and I have to stop acting like it is. He's just messing with me and that is why I am walking to the elevator. It's the only reason.

I spot the black suit he was wearing earlier. His muscles are so defined it makes me gulp. I look down at my dress, my tight red dress. Not the same as Fire's night, I am not stupid. It is in fact white with red flowers on it. The girls didn't ask where I was going. I leave the house often at this hour. All they ask is that I come back by eleven. They really are moms.

''Hi, gorgeous'' Will whispers as he takes my waist and holds me close to his chest. I push him off, grabbing his hand and walking us to the elevator. If the girls see us, I am dead. More than dead. I am fish food. Fish food. I don't want to be fish food. Fuck no.

''Don't fight so hard'' he says and I sigh as I look up at the ceiling. I can't bear to look at him. If I do, my cheeks will grow red and he'll know how much he affects me. If he doesn't already.

''I am paying'' I break the silence. Will arches an eyebrow and when he laces our fingers together, I find it hard to pull away. I don't want his hand in mine. I don't want this. Whatever this is.

''You think I am going to let a lady pay for my dinner? Not a chance. I am paying, babydoll.'' God, I hate this nickname. Where did it even come from? Babydoll?

''You paid for my books, I am only returning the favor'' he doesn't know that I know he's just fucking with me. It is so obvious, the four horsemen don't know what they're doing. Their leash is breaking and it started the moment they got caught and sent to prison.

''Fuck no. You'll sit at my table, talk to me and we'll have a good time-'' the elevator doors open and I rush out of it. It felt like the wind was getting knocked out of me, by his words. Simple fucking words that mean nothing. Get it together.

''-and then, I'll pay for desert and for whatever else you deserve to order.'' If I wasn't who I am, if I were another girl, I think I would fall for him directly. However, he's the enemy. The fact that he's here right now, walking me to his car, opening the door for me, proves it. He's playing a game and I think he forgot that in chess, the queen is the most important pawn.

''What are you in?'' Will has put his car into drive and I keep looking out the window. Oh my fucking god. Fucking Alex just waved at me. She saw us. I am screwed. I am totally fucked.

''Huh?'' I ask, adverting my gaze to him. Will chuckles a little and his smile makes my insides flip. How is he so good at that?

''What's your program? In college, I mean.'' He grips his wheel and I can't stop myself from thinking about how good it would feel to behold by him. It has been a while since I have been touched and the wetness dripping in between my legs is hard not to notice.

''Um, I am a psycho major'' I answer and my nails are suddenly digging in my palms. I shift in my seat, pretending to be straightening my dress. I am aware of my panties rubbing against my clit and a soft moan gets out of my mouth. Which, I thankfully mask while I clear my throat. I feel like Will is burning a hole in the side of my head as I feel his eyes staring at me.

''Interesting. Not literature?'' I snort and catch Will's eyes. He smirks and slowly turns his head back on the road. He's not going fast. In fact, he's going way too slow.

''I have that class, dumbass''

''I am sure you do. What else do you do?'' I shake my head, keeping my laugh inside my throat.

''Why does it matter?'' Will scoffs and the look on his face makes me feel intimidated. I can say whatever I want. Next to him, I am more than small. I thought I had control here but I guess I do not. He does. He has every control over me right now. I bet he knows it.

''Right, I forgot you act like a little brat all the time'' he pulls in the parking lot. I don't say anything. What does he expect me to say? I won't let him win. And I can't do that if I talk. My words will betray me.

Will pulls his keys out of his car and he climbs out of his seat, closing the door behind him. I am about to do the same until I notice he's jogging to my side and he's opening the door for me. I might just melt. Might.

''Wow, such a gentleman'' I scowl. He grabs my hand, kisses it as he holds our eye contact. Butterflies are swarming in my belly. Will Grayson have more than charm. He has manners. I'll give him a ten in that. No, what the fuck am I doing? Who fucking cares?

''Enjoy it while you can. I am very different behind closed doors'' I follow him into the restaurant, him, not giving me second thoughts about this. My heart beats faster with every step we take and I just hope he can't hear it. Even though it's all I am hearing right now.

We walk in, eyes suddenly all on us. I notice some of my classmates and I wave at them. This is awkward. I want to go home. I should have never come. He just wants to get inside my head. Well, it's fucking working.

I rub my arm, feeling exposed. I feel my breasts bounce as we walk to our table and every eye are on him. I clench my fists and I bite the inside of my cheeks. Feeling those old fuck's eyes trailing down on my body makes me want to puke. I don't need this.

''Are you okay?'' Will asks, pulling the chair for me so I can sit. I shake my head as I sit and I avoid his eyes. My eyes are glossy, I can't show weakness. That's why I smile and he only narrows his eyes before sitting down in front of me.

We don't talk as we check the menu and the waitress takes our order. We glance at each other and every time I do, his mouth is slightly curled. Is it that obvious? He makes me shy. I don't know what to do.

I didn't want to take my phone but when I hear the ding, I am quick to grab it.
Disappointment fills me as I notice it's Will. I look up at him and he cocks his eyebrows.

𝗔𝗿𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗼𝗸𝗮𝘆?

I fill my lungs with air as if it will not be enough while I am around him. What was I thinking? I wanted to mess with him because it's exactly what he's doing to me. What the fuck is going on with my head?

𝗙𝗶𝗻𝗲.

I close my phone until I hear another ding. Is he fucking serious? Why is he not talking to me?

𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘁𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲. 𝗡𝗼𝘄 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮𝘁 𝗺𝗲, 𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗸 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲

I blink my eyes open, batting my eyelashes at him. This is all a game and I have to make my moves right. What if I can't?

''What else do you do? In school.'' I giggle as he repeats the question he asked me just before we got here. There's no harm in telling him, is there?

''Music'' I whisper, loud enough for him to hear me. He's smiling at me. And he looks so un horsemen like with this side of him. I don't realize I am smiling until his foot nudges mine. What the hell is going on?

''Eyes on me, babydoll.'' I raise my eyebrows. I'll find a nickname for him. Something that will piss him off.

He's playing with me. And I intend to do the same. No matter how hard my heart beats when he's around.

 No matter how hard my heart beats when he's around