Chapter 9 - Coral Roses

Go check out my Spotify playlist for Kamisato Rin!! https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4mDeE5E6uSNUCXjuQ0Uh7J

----------------------------------------------*:・゚✧------------------------------------------

I was greatly relieved that I had stopped Childe from going any further, and a newfound confidence had arisen inside me.

He could leer at me all he wanted, he could even touch me if he so desired, but my back was not for him to see.

Maybe there would come a day when I would forget 'her' face, 'her' words, and the pain 'she' had inflicted upon me.

But those scars don't fade away.

"1."

"2."

"3."

"4."

"10."

"20."

"40."

"57."

"Get up, Rin."

Not even the most potent of remedies could heal those scars of the past.

Now, only the present mattered.

Childe wouldn't let news of our engagement slip, but I could not afford to let my guard down. 

Your opponent is unpredictable, your next move is certain.

"I-I'm sorry," I apologized, bursting into tears. "I didn't mean to--"

"Oh, my kitten, please don't cry," he sing-songed, clearly satisfied with the outcome of my little tantrum. "Darling, please don't cry."

I sniffled. "Forgive me, Lord Childe."

"Why wouldn't I, my precious?"

As his nicknames registered in my mind, an old memory suddenly flashed before my eyes.

"Nee-chan! Nii-chan!"

Ayaka ran towards me, stumbling over her steps.

"Be careful, Yacchan!" I exclaimed. "A proper lady must watch where she is going."

Ayato rolled his eyes. "Don't give Yacchan that nonsense. She's much too young to hear those dull lessons of yours."

"No!" Ayaka fumed. "I want to be pretty and smart and strong like Nee-chan! Nee-chan is always so cool! Nii-chan isn't cool at all!"

I giggled.

"Yacchan, don't be like that. Big Brother is super cool, and he wants the best for you too. We'll always be behind you, no matter what happens, okay?"

She smiled.

"Okay, Nee-chan!"

Yacchan.

That's what I used to call her.

Yacchan.

I wanted to say that, I wanted to call that out, and I wanted to have someone answer.

I wanted to be called "Nee-chan" again.

But that reality was gone.

And ahead of me was a man, a shallow man, who thought that emulating such affection would allow him to reach into my heart and see my darkest secrets.

He really knew nothing about me.

----------------------------------------------*:・゚✧------------------------------------------