Chapter 19 - The Meaning of Power

Idol AU or High School AU for my next special chapter? Vote in the comments!

----------------------------------------------*:・゚✧------------------------------------------

"I want fourteen of you stationed at intervals along the perimeter of the forest," I ordered, brandishing my spear. "The rest of you, split into groups to look for the stolen goods. Nadezhda, come with me."

"Yes, my lady," she answered without hesitation.

Today, I had shed my dainty lace dresses in favor of a form-fitting mulberry peacoat cinched at the waist and stopping at the hip. Complete with golden epaulettes, polished paddock boots, and a pair of neatly ironed breeches, I was looking very much the part of a Snezhnayan general.

As a gift, Pierro had presented me with a silver rapier that fit perfectly in my small, fragile hands. Like the Raiden Shogun, I had mastered both the art of the naginata and the sword, yet my aptitude for the former had been evident since I was young. As for the rapier, I would use this opportunity to determine whether it would be mounted on my wall as an ornamental decoration, or be used as a tool for bloodshed and battle.

Continuing with the mission, I turned to my retainer. "You can keep the gun unloaded if you want to, Nadezhda."

"Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of arriving armed, Your Grace?"

"Your only job is to stay by my side and frighten them." I leapt soundlessly onto a birch branch. "I happen to be a bit of a celebrity amongst those filthy bandits."

Nadezhda shot me a dubious look. "Celebrity . . . how so?"

"Just watch," I replied mysteriously.

Removing a delicate pearl rod from my sleeve, I examined the phoenix intricately carved into the surface of the wand.

"Like a hairpin, isn't it? But it's actually . . ."

I jumped down from the tree, appearing in front of the Treasure Hoarders.

". . . a smoking pipe."

The bandits readied themselves, charging towards me, but stopped as soon as they laid eyes on the mother-of-pearl pipe, then on the cascade of pale lavender hair that brushed gently against the tails of my coat.

Sucking in shocked shrieks, the Treasure Hoarders bowed apologetically, nodding to themselves and hurriedly dashing away from my presence without a care for the goods they had just stolen.

Perplexed, Nadezhda looked at the pipe, then at me.

"Your Grace, what in the world just happened?!"

Chuckling, I tapped the smoking pipe. "In the City of Contracts, the Liyue Qixing is the leading faction, and at the top of it all is the Tianquan, Lady Ningguang. This pipe is a gift she presents only to those she deems worthy; a badge of sorts. And there's only four people in the world who have one like it: Lady Ningguang, Captain Beidou, Lady Keqing, and myself, the famed courtesan of the Pearl Galley: The Celestial Pearl."

Before Nadezhda could press on, my transceiver crackled.

"We have all the goods, Your Grace!"

"Excellent. Nadezhda will arrive at your location in a moment, so deliver them to the palace without me. Tell Scaramouche that I have a quick matter to take care of if he questions my absence," I commanded, gesturing for Nadezhda to go.

"Your Gr--"

"I'll continue the story later," I assured her. "I'm going to go visit that wretched half-brother of yours in his prison cell."