A Warning

Author's note: Welcome back everyone! I hope you enjoy this second chapter. I'm thinking there will be about thirty so please be patient, the story is building up, I promise. I also wanted to tell you that this story is rated M for a reason. Later chapters will contain mature subjects and some sex scenes. I wanted to let you know in case you're not into that. 

The hallway on the second floor was covered in floor-to-ceiling mirrors

The hallway on the second floor was covered in floor-to-ceiling mirrors. She was sure under the daylight they added to the luxury of the castle, but in the dead of night flickering shadows startled her at every turn. The chandeliers were only lighted for guests.

They stopped in front of a door that reminded her of the one that belonged to the room she'd left behind. The butler made a mild reverence and said, "Your room." His mouth twitched.

"Is there something you find amusing, good sir?"

He shook his head.

She entered the room. There were gold-rimmed yellow and blue curtains that hung from the ceiling. The floor was upholstered with a matching royal blue with specks of yellow flowers. There was hope for her. On the far right stood a round table with a lemon reading chair, which she would use at night after the long work hours that awaited her.

 On the far right stood a round table with a lemon reading chair, which she would use at night after the long work hours that awaited her

James cleared his throat. "It's just... a maid sleeping in one of our guest rooms. Quite unprecedented, if I may."

Ella turned, her throat dried. "You may not. I may have fallen out of fortune's favor, but know this, I am not a maid. I am Ella, lady of the Font regency, and I will recover it in due time. It would do you well to respect me. You and I are not equals, and I never forget."

His smile was wider now. "Wait till the kitchen hears about this."

She slammed the door behind her and explored the room. There was an enormous four-poster bed covered in a golden silk duvet. The ceiling had white ornaments that resembled women without faces. She opened the closet, which was empty. Dust covered her pink dress, and it was at that moment she wondered how she would take it off. In the mansion, there was always a maid around to help her. Her eyes drifted toward the lower part of the closet where scratchings called her attention.