V

The Cullen's and the wolf pack decided that they needed a night with each other, time to tell stories around a fire and just appreciate that they could finally get along. Although, Sam wasn't happy that there would be a vampire that killed one of their own, but Jacob being the alpha said it was fine. Calvin wasn't quite sure what to expect, wolves and vampires being natural enemies was all he knew and now he was about to sit with them around a fire. It was awkward to say the least, he didn't want to make any sudden movements and the sound of blood rushing was a lot for him to bare.
"So, is it just blood you control?" Sam frowned.
"All liquids." Calvin cleared his throat.
"So, water?"
He nodded slowly, looking out towards the river.
"Can't you show us?"
"I have to be close enough to it." He clasped his hands together. "I'm also not comfortable enough to try it without hurting someone with a heartbeat."
"You've spent how many years as a vampire and can't control your ability?"
"The Volturi only saw one thing useful for me, I spent a long time around vampires so I don't know if I can completely control it."
"At least you admit it." Sam sighed.
Calvin nodded slowly, staring into the flames. He could feel the guilt, the burden he brought onto this pack, this family. He caused some of their grief, he caused Rosalie's grief, maybe he didn't deserve it...another chance, he was starting to feel like everything was some cruel joke, maybe he had died that day and this was some sort of limbo. A hand on his shoulder brought him out of his thoughts.
"Take a walk with me."
He reluctantly agreed, standing slowly.

The leaves crunched under their feet, the cold air would bother a human but not the vampires.
"Beautiful isn't it?" They stopped at a field of flowers.
"It is." He whispered softly.
"Sit." Rosalie smiled, taking his hand.
They walked together to the middle of the field, both sitting in sync with one another. They both sat in silence, just admiring the field around them.
"Have you ever had a mate?" She finally spoke.
"No, never found that person." He sighed.
"So you don't know how it feels."
"I can imagine." He looked down at his hands. "I can also imagine the pain of losing one."
"It's painful, like part of you is gone."
"That's why you took me out here." He looked at her. "Emmett."
She shook her head slowly, although she was slightly shocked that he would consider it.
"Apparently, you can always find another once you've lost one." Her voice was soft, quiet. "I didn't think it was possible."
Calvin listened, carefully. He wasn't sure where this was going.
"It doesn't make sense to me." She scoffed. "How it ended up like this, but somehow it did."
Their eyes met, just like a few nights before. She tried to keep her distance, but something about him made her want to stay close.
"I tried not to let myself feel it, tried to ignore it." She couldn't look away. "But, I feel like I might go crazy if I keep trying."
"Is it someone you shouldn't be with?"
"That depends who you ask."
"Is that why I'm here?"
She laughed quietly, trying to find the right words, how could she explain this to him? He was so oblivious to what she was saying, almost like Emmett, never thinking things through, acting on impulse.
"You're not the monster I thought you were." She placed a hand on his cheek.
Calvin paused, his face falling into a frown. He knew that she saw him as a monster, he saw himself as one too. Why was she being so nice? She could see that he was thinking it over in his mind, she couldn't hold back any more, if she didn't do something she may never try again.

Calvin placed his hand over hers, still cradling his cheek, he felt comfort in that moment. She leaned closer, closing her eyes before planting her lips on his. Shock took over Calvin's body, staying stiff for a second before he finally reciprocated the kiss. At that point, everything felt right, like there had been a missing piece of him that had finally been found. He felt complete, whole. They were made for each other.
"Me?" Calvin whispered, their foreheads pressed against each other.
"It doesn't make sense to me either, but it's you."
"I feel the same way." His smile was contagious to her.
They didn't feel the need to say anything else, just them in their own world. No one bothered them, as if deep down they knew what was happening, they both appreciated it. Both of them laid down on the grass, holding hands. Rosalie got a little closer, placing her head on his shoulder as they admired the night sky together, the moonlight shining on their faces. Bliss, complete bliss.
"Is there anything you miss about being human?" Rosalie finally broke the silence.
"Smoking, eating, getting drunk." He chuckled. "Anything you miss?"
"The possibility of having children someday, growing old."
"Mine seem mediocre now."
They both laughed quietly.
"I get it, kind of...smoking though."
"Hey, in my era it was frowned upon if you didn't smoke."
"You just wanted to be James Dean right?"
"Who didn't?" Calvin smiled. "Audrey Hepburn was my celebrity crush."
Rosalie laughed again, reaching her hand up to his chest.
"Is there anything you like?" He turned to face her.
"I guess seeing the world changing is interesting."
"I like that, but I have to admit never needing to sleep is great."
"I miss dreaming."
"I think if we could dream, it'd be nightmares." Calvin turned to face her. "I can't forgive myself for the things I've done."
"For the battle?"
"Yes, but there's more than that. I've killed innocent people, humans. All for the sake of staying in power."
Rosalie frowned slightly, he looked so genuine and hurt all in one.
"How do the Volturi feed?"
"Tours, people want to see the castle...humans want to work for them so one day, they can become one of us." He looked back at the sky. "Unless Aro sees they'll be of use, they're dinner."
Rosalie felt the disgust rising, for years her family vowed to stay away from human blood and yet the ones in power freely killed innocent humans that didn't deserve it.
"I am a monster." Calvin whispered.
"No, you're not." Rosalie placed a hand on his cheek, forcing him to look at her.
They stared at each other, getting lost in golden eyes. No words needed to be said, they knew that there was a bond forming as the night went on. The sounds of everyone enjoying their night could be heard, but they didn't care because in that moment, all they cared about was each other.

So distracted by one another that they didn't notice the glowing red eyes in the trees, watching from afar.